A Glimpse Of Our Future
May 12, 2015
The problem with predicting the future is, it's hard.
You can get a lot of attention, and you can hope most people don't remember that you were more often wrong than right, but it's still risky if you value your credibility.
Not only are wrist watches not dead, they're about to boom, thanks to Apple.
The irony of the video is that the very premise of the featured song has proven false.
Still, lots of pundits make lots of money predicting the death of Radio.
Here's what I believe: Most of our wounds are self-inflicted and if Radio dies -- which I don't think will happen -- it will be death from a million little cuts more than a quick obsolescence.
The best we can do is our best.
- Fewer and better commercials on our air.
- More compelling content between the songs.
- A recommitment to the cities we are licensed to serve.
- Investment -- substantial investment -- in making the daily product better.
- Leaders more concerned about us and our listeners than their own bonus and board.
The future will include Radio unless we allow greed to kill it.
And I don't have to read tea leaves or your palm to know that.