Giving Listeners More Reasons To Love You
July 31, 2012
I am constantly amazed at how many Programmers miss the opportunity to convert new listeners into P1’s or huge fans of the radio station.
Getting a listener to turn off the other guy, and give you a shot is great, but it is only step one.
The real trick is to embrace these returning or first time listeners and really work hard at getting them to emotionally bond with your station as quickly as possible.
It all starts with knowing your listeners, and especially your core.
- Find out everything about them.
- Find out what they want.
- Give it to them.
As an example here is an insight into the life of 25-44 females. Based on a series of recent Listener Advisory Boards in the UK, Europe and Australia, these are some of the things that are top of mind to them.
- Finding and trusting a partner.
- Having kidsâ€¦whenâ€¦looking after them.
- Buying clothes on a budget.
- How to remain young looking.
- Should I still wear a bikini?
- Medical breakthroughs.
- Managing my career.
- Keeping relatively fit.
- Developments in cosmetic surgery.
- The weather.
- Diets that work.
- I’m single. How can I meet a guy?
- Buying a car, who do I trust?
- Technology (how to download a song)
- I’m getting olderâ€¦.am I running out of time.
- Should I stay the nightâ€¦..
- Changing Careers.
- Celebrity Gossip. What are they wearing?
- To tweet or not to tweet.
- Investing Money.
- When should I have sex with him?
- Buying Cosmo (or Hello or OK) each week.
- Bars/clubs etc to be seen at.
- What would Christian Grey really look like??
Based on this kind of in depth information (and obviously this stuff needs to go through your local filters), some stations are building a series of strategically sound segments that work on the air for programming and sales.
They become the 'Word On' Series, and they deliver important info to Listeners.
They are sought after by clients who want an association, they generate new revenue AND they deliver great content.
"Word on" topics could include:
The Word onâ€¦â€¦
- Cosmetic Surgery
- Health and Fitness
- Meeting Men// Clubs for Singles
- Twitter Etiquette
- Dressing Your Man
- Black Dress Bargains
- Changing Careers
- Being Desperate and Dateless
- Diets that Work
- Housework Short Cuts
- Medical Break throughs
- Cheating Partners and Revenge
- Living with Flat mates
- Celebrity Gossip.
- DVD/Movie Releases.
An on air product that hits more emotional hot buttons. This means cumers and station fans will have more reasons to hang around.
You can sell the spots/segments. Clients will love the association.
Some stations log these in News and some stations charge extra for adds near these powerful segments that over time become benchmarks.
You get new clients on the air, and NEW UNTRADITIONAL REVENUE.
- Programming WINS
- Sales WINS
- Your new and loyal listeners WIN.
- Everybody goes out to lunch!
To view The Big Bang archives click here.