Little Things Can Have Big Impact
April 2, 2013
Travelling across the world I hear a lot of radio.
In the past month alone I've listened in depth to 60 stations in a dozen or so countries............
I am constantly reminded that great content that can run 'across platform' is still a sought after commodity.
In many competitive markets, it's these great ideas that can give you that winning edge
Here is a short cut for you...........some of the great ideas I've seen and heard recently...............
(1) Firstly it's off to Kronehit in Vienna, Austria. Thanks to Ruediger Landgraf, here is ''STRIP OR CASH'':
Six hits nonstop at the top of the hour in Kronehit's Sixpack. After all 6, call in and identify them ...then you decide.......either a 'crisp' stripper to you at your office or 300 euros on the account - just like that for listening to the radio!
Great strategy reinforcing fun idea that generates talk and recall ... click here for details.
(2) In Australia we have a NATIONAL DAY OF ACTION AGAINST BULLYING where schools across the country register and get involved.
This annual day provides a focus for schools who want to say Bullying. No Way! and to strengthen their everyday messages that bullying and violence at school are not okay at any time. The annual National Day of Action Against Bullying and Violence is organised by all Australian education authorities through the Safe and Supportive School Communities Project.
But imagine if a radio station had the courage to take this a step further.........where listeners confront their bullies from 10 years ago. Wow!!!!!!!!! This idea has not been executed yet, but it certainly could be compelling and generate great talk.
(3) A fantastic phone topic for Friday's thanks to Christian OConnell at Absolute Radio in the UK - ''WHY SHOULD WE CALL YOU BACK ON MONDAY???''
Listeners call up and talk us through what they will be up to across the weekend. If the story is compelling enough...complete with cliff hanger....we'll call them back on Monday to see how it went.
This will generate some amazing content......and by the way.....these listeners can voice their own weekend promos.....
(4) We all know Ikea...........but this is a little different..... ''ADS AND KIDS'' ... thanks to Naveen at East Coast radio in Durban SA:
What a great commercial. Perfect for an adult (AAA) station.
(5) THE GREAT RADIO EXPERIMENT ...... where you invite listeners to determine the new sound of your station ...
Use wisely, but can be a great launching pad!!!! Thanks to Phil Angell, UKRD, UK, and click here for details.
(6) HIRSTY'S GOT A BIRD....from Hirsty, Danny and JoJo on Capital Yorkshire in the UK....
Long time morning host Hirsty's finally got a bird........and a lot of great content to show for it:
(7) Kid Made Wedding from SAFM Australia
Starting to see these spring up across the world. We've had plenty of wedding campaigns and giveaways over the years (2 Strangers and a Wedding, Runaway Bride..etc..), but how about a wedding that is totally planned by the future bride and groom's kids?!
(8) Finally...thanks to Seamus Barry at Red FM in Cork Ireland............... watch what happens when men experience the pains of childbirth
To view The Big Bang archives click here.