Content Director Half Time Report 2013
July 19, 2013
It's that time of year when it's not a bad idea pause for a second and take stock. It's the time when decisions made will impact on the next 12-24 months.
Miss this mid-year opportunity and you risk beginning the following year playing 'catch up'.
The goal here is for Content Directors to quickly get a handle on potential issues in the local market place and to re-focus their teams.
Its all about getting output up to speed fast.
Accept no short cuts.
Evaluate key competitors’ positioning statements, claims, benchmarks and stationality. Is there anything new we need to defuse?
How can we further maximize the strengths of our station/s to block and/or reposition our key competitors?
What tactical/strategic campaigns are we likely to be up against? Will our programming/marketing arsenal be competitive?
Are there new players? Can we predict and “borrow” possible strategies, tactics, features and devices before they are aimed at us?
Who wins Social???
Monitoring. Â Is it part of your culture??
The Product Teamâ€¦â€¦â€¦..who is the ‘crazy’ in the team? We need one. When will it meet??
Is the station’s Marketing Model (Target+Product+Position+Promotion+POD) current, active and actionable?
What mechanisms are in place to ensure we seize “the moment/ big events” as they pop-up.
Are we bigger than life??? Have the staff been exposed to a culture like ‘’Disney’’?
Talk to your Breakfast team
- Reset or at least revisit goals
- Content Director Expectations. What are they?
- Why is the show going to be even better in the last half of 2013?
The competitive breakfast landscape. What has changed???
Monitor your show and competitors again.
Consider a campaign of morning show promos that are not time sensitive, can run any day at anytime and reinforce all the major names and roles on the showâ€¦â€¦â€¦.like a movie trailer.
What are the important building blocks for the show? Will we knock them down every day? What safeguards?
What station/show franchises will we rely on/improve/maintain? Is there a formal diagnostic mechanism that ensures we are getting high marks on these ?
Does the morning show exist only on its own island? Will it consistently cross promote and recycle cume to other dayparts and features?
Our 2013 goals for pulling offÂ big event/s, being heroes in the community â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦.
"STORY ARC RADIO" - What does this mean and what is the plan?
Social Media and how it impacts pre 9am daily.
How’s the music count? When does it fall dangerously low and why? What is that point?
Breakfast Team “SWOT.” Every Strength, Weakness, Opportunity and Threat?
What’s our strategy for the last half of 2013(core/cume)? Check our logs and monitor competitors. Who wins the 20 minute test??
- Do projected turnovers = actual rotations?
- Are morning clocks coded for high testers?
- Is dayparting realistic?
- How many people are involved in coding? (sound codes, tempo/mood, openers, etc.).
- Are the recycling mechanisms in the system for overnight/weekend rotation operating properly?
- What era management controls are in place?
- Do the clocks on paper match the design in the computer and on-the-air?
- Are artist separation settings working for us? Could we have artists that have secondary appeal, with few titles in rotation, all falling inside the same broadcast day?
Have we compared a most played artist report to our list of core artistsâ€¦â€¦â€¦?
Us vs them??
The workday Strategy - what is it? Do the daytime presenters get it? What is the win?
Is it new and fresh? How are we sellingâ€¦â€¦
- Our Positioning
- Our Difference
- The workday
- Messages per hour
- Major Tactic
What is the current rotation for general stationality positioning promos? Are these rotations managed on a grid, clock or log? OR are frequencies left open to “interpretation?” Are recorded promos part of a fixed inventory that are not affected by commercial load? If not, who decides which ones get dropped?
When was the last time all of the recorded and live positioning statements were freshened? Did we keep the tactical and strategic goals of each in mind OR did we inadvertently change the stationality and position when we got “creative?”
Have we calculated reach and frequency on our primary station position? Is it possible that we are trying to cover too many hills and in the process losing ground with the primary images that really count?
Hammer major activity up to 6 times an hour.
On Air Promo Calendar/Marketing Plans
- On track?
- Survey Activity Critical Path PlanningÂ
- Monitoring and more monitoring
- A plan to improve the tactic mid campaign
Social and Website.
- Pull it apart!
Tipping Points for the coming 6 months. What are they????
- That one dramatic moment in an epidemic when everything can change all at once?
- That one dramatic moment in an epidemic when everything can change all at once?The moment of critical mass, the threshold, the boiling point, a place where the unexpected becomes expected, where radical change is a certainty instead of just a possibility?
Now, brainstorm your own local issues that need consideration.