10 Questions with ... Heather Storm
August 30, 2011
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- Star 104/Erie, PA: Weekends/swing, 2006-2007
- Q95.1-Miss 101/Meridian, MS: Middays, 2007-2008
- I also did weekends at WABB/Mobile.
- 95.9 Kiss FM/Appleton, WI: Nights, 2008-now
1) How would you describe your first radio gig?
I was a board op for CBS Pittsburgh. It was just before they started using Audio Vault, so I played CDs of some syndicated weekend show I can no longer remember the name of. I spent my Sunday mornings driving an hour and a half to press buttons at 6 AM and thought it was the coolest thing.
2) How would you describe the radio landscape in your market?
The 'Sconnies love Country and Rock (we have 7ish? rock stations), but we also run a tight Top 40 battle.
3) What makes your station unique? How would you compare it to other stations you've worked at?
Every station I've worked at has been completely different, but all in good ways. The sales and programming staff at Kiss are awesome at coming up with completely organic promotions. We are not afraid to try anything new.
4) What is your favorite part of the job?
I love bonding with listeners (whether it's on Facebook or at a bar). I love realizing a hit will be a hit before it's a hit. I love watching a crossover song come to the mainstream side. I love making up contest games so it's not just "caller 9 wins." I love creating characters on the air. Sorry... I guess I was just supposed to pick one.
5) What is the most challenging part of the job?
Creating an entertaining show on a slow day when your ideas are spent and the phones are dead.
6) What's the coolest promotion you've EVER been involved with?
Survive It To Drive It at Star 104 in Erie PA. Four strangers attempted to win a Volkswagon Beetle by living in it...Survivor style. I know it's been done, but I haven't seen it for awhile.
7) Who is your favorite air personality not on your staff and why do you like them?
I have to name two. 1) Randi West. Nicest gal you'll ever meet and one of the most knowledgeable people in the business. 2) Boomer (92.5 Kiss-FM/Toledo). That guy's creativity never fails.
8) Who would be a "dream guest" to have on your show?
I already had the Green Bay man who legally changed his name to "Deez Nutz." What more do you want? Seriously though... Snooks would be awesome. She'd make the ultimate night show intern.
9) What was your favorite station to listen to when you were a kid?
B94 and 96.1 Kiss (both in Pittsburgh).
10) Do you have a favorite hobby outside of radio?
I'm a big Harry Potter nerd and ever since I learned to make butter beer, I make everyone drink it. Root beer or cream soda with butterscotch and vanilla schnapps. Try it and email me how much you love it!
For someone vacationing in your market, what one thing would you say they "must see?"
Lambeau Field... even though I'm a Steeler fan. That Superbowl really hurt.