10 Questions with ... Jammin' Jimmy Olson
September 13, 2011
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
Worked in Houston at KRBE, KHYS, KBXX, KMJQ-A/F, KXTJ and KTHT; in Dallas at KHYI; Corpus Christi at KJKC; Lufkin at KAFX; and now Tyler at KLJT
1) How would you describe your first radio gig?
EXCITING! KRBE. I snuck out of the house and rode my bike up to the station to answer the phones and hang out with Robin Flores, Casey Love, Magical Matt Alan and Mark Waldi.
2) What led you to a career in radio?
Girls ... duh ... hello...
3) How would you describe the radio landscape in your market?
Sad, since we are the only live radio station in the market. Too much voicetracking and syndication on the other stations in the market.
4) Are you wearing more "hats" than you have in the past?
Definitely, as I lose more hair, LOL.
5) What's the coolest promotion you've ever been involved with?
Flying in with New Kids on the Block from Pittsburgh to Houston and arriving with over 100,000 fans waiting at the airport, then bringing them on stage. And being on stage with Master P and Little Romeo at a competitor's event ... and taking the event over.
6) What artist would we be surprised to find on your iPod?
Mark Ballas, Jr.
7) What's one thing that would surprise many people to learn about you?
I'm NOT gay.
8) Could you give us a little insight into your on-air staff?
Lots of prank calls...
9) What is it about our industry that keeps you wanting to do it for a living?
Helping and meeting sooo many different people.
10) What would you like to do to save radio from its "dying-industry" image?
Throw liners into the trash can and just use copy points so radio DJs can be radio personalities.
What's the best sweeper/liner you've ever heard?
"Y-95, The Dallas/Fort Worth Mother F*cker!" Every night at 2a. Love Mark Driscoll.