10 Questions with ... Valentine
April 17, 2012
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
Got bit by the bug when I was 16 at a small town station in Williamsport, PA, where the only excitement is the county fair and Little League World Series. Shortly after school I started searching for my next stop, in Wilkes Barre/Scranton, PA, and WBHT ("Where Billy Hammond Talks = WBHT) for nights. I was never a fan of snow, so I left my parka and boots behind in 2004 for West Palm. I continued my night time slot here at WiLD. Since then I've somehow landed in afternoons ... and the big chair.
1) How would you describe your first radio gig?
Life changing. I might have ended up doing something I hated, wearing a suit and doing the same thing everyday ... and that would require me to stab my eyes out.
2) What makes your station unique? How would you compare it to other stations you've worked at?
We have palm trees outside the studio and shorts are part of the dress code. That and the family we have here really lives the South Florida lifestyle and fits the station's brand perfectly.
3) What are you doing social media-wise?
Everything! If it's on-air, it's online. It's a perfect tool for letting the fans know of happenings and really be part of the station.
4) "Local, local, local" has always been radio's mantra. How do you keep your station visible and involved in the community?
My morning show leads the way in the market with local charities. They've done so much for the Little Smiles charity on a local level. That ... and the station being involved with (and owning) every big local event.
5) What is your favorite part of the job?
My air shift. It's the reason I fell in love and it's the reason I've stayed.
6) What is the most challenging part of the job?
Finding time to do everything I want to do. Apple needs to come up with an iRemote that can "pause the day!
7) Could you give us a little insight into your on-air staff?
Hands down, the most talented people. Kevin, Virginia and Jason have built one of the most unique shows on a Top 40. Ryan Seacrest ... he's pretty good, and has great skin. Katie Sommers (based at WFLZ) is the perfect female for WiLD and I think maybe my twin sister. Kruz (outta D.C.at WIHT) fits into the lineup perfectly. Plus, a whole team of ninjas who make the station what it is.
8) If you could add one full-time position to your budget right now, what would it be?
Full-time social media master! That or an assistant who doesn't mind hourly runs for Starbucks.
9) Who is your favorite air personality not on your staff and why do you like them?
Elvis at Z. That man knows how to keep it moving, while keeping it entertaining and relatable. Mad respect.
10) What was your favorite station to listen to when you were a kid?
Hot 97, WBHT in Wilkes Barre, PA. Shout out to Kid!
What ringtone do you have on your cell?
Super Mario Bros theme.