10 Questions with ... Paul "Cubby" Bryant
June 19, 2012
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- Nights, WGH/Norfolk-Virginia Beach 1988-1990
- MD/nights, KRBE/Houston 1990-96
- MD /afternoons, Z100/NYC 1996-2006
- Mornings, WKTU/NYC 2006-present (Whoopi Goldberg sidekick '06-08)
1) Congrats on the side gig, DJing for the Jets at MetLife stadium. How did the opportunity come your way?
Bob Pittman is very close to the owners of the Jets, Woody and Suzanne Johnson. I was introduced to Suzanne and discovered she loved KTU. We kept in touch through the last year and she asked if I'd be interested in doing the music this season.
2) Is there a fixed playlist of researched stadium faves ("We Will Rock You," etc.) or will you have some leeway in choosing the tunes?
I'll have leeway, but if we're on defense and need to stop the Patriots on a 3rd & 2, you'll hear "We Will Rock You," not One Direction. The stadium staples will be played, but you'll really hear my influence during "walk-in" and in-between possessions.
3) You've spun in some clubs as well ... still doing that?
No, not much anymore. It was just something fun I was doing briefly.
4) Checking your Facebook page, most of the friends who you added in May were blonde females. Was this part of a targeted outreach?
Yes, this was a focus group I conducted and a lot of blondes were disappointed that I wasn't accepting their friend requests. After the study was done I made an effort to only accept blondes.
5) How'd the KTUtopia event go?
We were very pleased. Pitbull, Adam Lambert and the other many performers killed it. We're hoping this will become the kind of concert our listeners will get in the habit of going too every May, the same way the month of December is all about Z100's Jingle Ball.
6) So who's been the coolest celeb you've met recently?
This guy named Dave Hoeffel I met when I crashed a wedding during the first weekend in June. What a great wedding DJ that guy is!
7) What is your favorite part of the job?
Every day being different! Keeps the excitement alive!
8) What is the most challenging part of the job?
Being different every day.
9) What artist would we be surprised to find on your iPod?
10) What's one thing that would surprise many people to learn about you?
I wear clown costumes on the weekends, sit alone, and cry.
What ringtone do you have on your cell?
Stevie Wonder, "I Just Called To Say I Love You."