10 Questions with ... Randy Hendrix
May 21, 2013
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- KMIX/Turlock, CA - Part-Time (1989-1991)
- KATM (Kat Country 103)/Modesto, CA. - Part-Time (1992-1995)
- KNAX/Fresno, CA - 7p-mid (1993-1994)
- KJUG/Visalia, CA - 7p-mid (1995-1997)
- KFRY/Modesto, CA - 7-mid/Imaging (1997-1998)
- KATM (Kat Country 103)/Modesto, CA. (99-01) 7-Mid -
- KJUG/Visalia, CA. - 7p-mid (2001-2002)
- KCRZ (Z104.9)/Visalia, CA - APD/Mornings (2002-2011)
- KCRZ /KIOO(Z 104.9/HITZ-997 CLASSIC ROCK)/Visalia, CA - PD - (2011-Present)
1) You recently made some major changes at KCRZ...
Yes, we had lots of changes ... we now have twice the power, and we have also gone from Hot AC to Mainstream Top 40, which wasn't a hard transition at all. We signed the awesome Dr. Dave Ferguson to be our voice guy; I came off mornings after 12 years and went to middays, got Elvis Duran for mornings, Ryan Seacrest for afternoons, and we brought Danny P. to nights.
2) How's the new signal working out?
Great! We went from a dairy on the valley floor to a tower and twice the power. This takes our signal into Fresno, and our backyard is covered like a blanket now!
3) How would you describe your first radio gig?
FUN! I loved it. I ran the board for Turlock High School football, and played Bob Kingsley's Country Countdown. Eventually I got on the air on overnights. Thanks to Bill Mackey for the gig!
4) What led you to a career in radio?
As long as I can remember, I wanted to be on the radio. From the first time I heard Dr. Don Rose on 610 KFRC, I was hooked ... I wanted to do that, and have that much fun!
5) How would you describe the radio landscape in your market?
It's a bit conservative, so as you can imagine, with Elvis Duran in the morning we are creating some waves! You can't buy the publicity we are getting on Facebook, with comments bad and good about Elvis!
6) What makes your station unique? How would you compare it to other stations you've worked at?
Our station is a straight-ahead Mainstream Top 40, where in our area there are a few Rhythmic stations and a Hot AC , but no Mainstream! We create fun and play great music by the biggest stars.
7) Are you wearing more "hats" than you have in the past?
I've been wearing lots of hats for a a long time, but about a year ago, I took on our Classic Rock station and it is so much FUN!
8) "Local, local, local" has always been radio's mantra. How do you keep your station visible and involved in the community?
Since we have a bright new logo, we are out everywhere. We just recently got a street team together, and we're busy with numerous promotions, from sober grad stuff to local parades.
9) If you could add one full-time position to your budget right now, what would it be?
Personal assistant ... someone who can drive the station van to remotes and get gas for my car! Ha.
10) What advice you would give people new to the business?
Do whatever it takes to get to where you want. Keep bugging the PD ... start as an intern if you have to. A lot of people just want to walk in the door and get on the air. And they want six figures a year. Ahhh... NO.
What artists would we be surprised to find on your iPod?
Frank Sinatra, Alan Jackson, Run DMC, Ozzy Osbourne, and Whitesnake