10 Questions with ... Yonni Rude
October 29, 2013
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- Antilles Television/Montserrat, West Indies
- Radio Antilles/Montserrat, West Indies
- WFSS/Fayetteville, NC
- WZFX/Fayetteville, NC
- WWWZ/Charleston, SC
- WSSX/Charleston, SC
1) How would you describe your first radio gig?
I was a part of a weekly pre-teen talk show, The Children's Hour, on Radio Antilles on the Caribbean island of Montserrat. It was there that I learned to stand out in a crowd. Best memory was a question on homework and everyone else saying the same boring "I don't like it ... but I know it's good for us." When it was my turn, I decided to spice things up and said that homework was "an infringement on my personal time because school work was for school not for home." That's when I found out who REALLY listened to radio ... namely, my teachers.
2) What led you to a career in radio?
I am the 3rd generation in my family to tackle this industry. As much as I tried to run away from it in undergrad (my first major was Accounting), I was drawn back to it like a moth to a flame.
3) What's the coolest promotion you've EVER been involved with?
That's like asking your favorite child (well ... for everyone else because my answer would be none, lol). Seriously ... I have two ... The first was the Great Escape ... we gave away a Ford Escape when it was first introduced to the market. Huge success for the station AND for the client. They couldn't keep cars on the lot. The second would be The Last 3 Jamz ... The lead-up insinuated that the station was changing formats ... the passion of the listeners coming to picket at the station was amazing.
4) What artist would we be surprised to find on your iPod?
5) What's one thing that would surprise many people to learn about you?
You mean the Garth Brooks answer wasn't enough? Okay ... how about this ... I don't eat fruits or vegetables!
6) If you could add one full-time position to your budget right now, what would it be?
Just one? LOL...
7) Who would be a "dream guest" to have on your show?
Well, I already proposed to Alicia Keys (she said yes by the way), so I can retire at any time.
8) Do you have a favorite hobby outside of radio?
Golf ... though the game does not seem to like me very much.
9) What music do you listen to when you're not working?
Reggae, Dancehall and my first love, Soca.
10) What is the one truth that has held constant throughout your career?
Change is the only constant.
What ringtone do you have on your cell?
The e-mail sounder from the movie Savages.