10 Questions with ... Fishboy
December 3, 2013
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
I started here about 13 years ago as a weekend board-op at WILK, which is our News/Talk station. I got to do the weather once an hour for 30 seconds! I worked my way up from there.
1) What led you to a career in radio?
I've always wanted to be in radio. In fact, when I was a little kid, I used to do the announcements in elementary school. I gave you the lunch menu, the absentees ... all that stuff.
2) How would you describe the radio landscape in your market?
I'd describe it as strong local-personality-driven. Thankfully, we have the strongest on our station.
3) What would you say makes KRZ unique?
The strong local personalities! And we have freedom. Our company is really good about giving us the autonomy to do our own thing here when it comes to music and promotions. I feel privileged and lucky to be a part of this company.
4) What are you doing social media-wise?
Facebook and Twitter. We've been Facebook-driven for awhile, but Twitter is finally catching on around here. We're using Instagram, too.
5) What was a hot tune for KRZ that maybe surprised you?
Eminem "Berzerk" was huge. I heard that it didn't test in many other places, but it was still huge when we finally retired it. And Florida-Georgia Line "Cruise" was massive here. We could probably still be playing it in a power rotation if we wanted to.
6) What's your favorite part of the job?
Getting to listen to and pick the brand new music. You can't ask for a better job than that!
7) What's the most challenging part of the job?
Always trying to adapt and change with the new media landscape. There's so much new media out there. You always have to be on top of your game.
8) Who's your favorite air personality who is not on your staff, and what is it that you like about them?
I'm a big fan of Romeo. I like the way that he can just reach out to the audience. I loved listening to him when he was at Z100, and now I make sure that I catch him on Saturday night. He "gets" it.
9) Who would be a dream guest to have on your show?
I'd love to sit down with Lady Gaga and have her co-host the Hot 9 Countdown.
10) What's the one thing that would surprise many people to learn about you?
I'm a huge fan of soccer! Maybe that's not that odd ... but around here it is.
What was your last non-industry job?
I worked for Cigna Healthcare, and I was a Dental Service Customer Representative.