10 Questions with ... AJ Anelli
January 28, 2014
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- Intern with WNKS and WKQC, CBS Radio, Charlotte, NC
- Promotions Assistant: WNKS / WKQC
- Board Op: WNKS
- Part-time On-Air Talent: WAPE 95.1-Cox Radio, Jacksonville, FL
- On-Air Talent (Nights): WERO Bob 93.3 -NextMedia Group, New Bern, NC
1) How would you describe your first radio gig?
It was more than I thought radio was about. There was so much "behind the scenes" work that went behind it. It was always fun to be a part of it and see what the outcome would be.
2) What led you to a career in radio?
I moved to Charlotte, NC with an ambition to meet people and get involved in the community. I basically fell into radio after a producer from Kiss 95.1's afternoon show, "Otis and the O-Show," told me if it interested me, I should get an internship. Along with the help and teachings from Otis, Croghan and Crash, I really managed to learn a lot and move forth with what I wanted to make a career.
3) What makes your station unique? How would you compare it to other stations you've worked at?
I would have to say the enthusiasm for making it better! It's a smaller market, but everyone has heard or hears this station in Eastern Carolina! Sometimes you can be small but yet so noticeable, and this station knows what the listeners want and how to be a big part of the community.
4) What is your favorite part of the job?
The fact that I am getting paid for my "personality," along with taking calls from record labels and talking about the artists that we play every day. It feels like you're in their lives somehow and that you realize one day you might meet that particular artist.
5) What is the most challenging part of the job?
The challenging part for me was getting to finally have a full-time job in the business. I've only been in it four short years so I didn't expect things to happen overnight, but now that it has finally come it feels like I just finished my internship yesterday.
6) What's the coolest promotion you've EVER been involved with?
For me it was Nelly's B-day party. Especially since we're both Scorpios! He was awesome and even introduced me to Ashanti. Here I am meeting these guys, and in middle school I had posters of both of them on my wall. Who would have known?
7) Who would be a "dream guest" to have on your show?
There would be many, but most likely Eminem. If I even get to meet him once, that itself would be a dream ... just to have a quick conversation to say that I have done that.
8) What was your favorite station to listen to when you were a kid?
It would have to be WILD 98.7, now 94.1 in Tampa. I remember the morning show having traffic news with the Law and Order sounders ... "boom boom." I always thought it was funny. And even when I was down there recently I still heard the same personalities.
9) Do you have a favorite hobby outside of radio?
I like to just hang out with friends, hit sporting events, and when I can, play baseball!
10) What is it about our industry that keeps you wanting to do it for a living?
Using your personality -- and every day is an experience. You go on the air, do a show, and learn every day what you can do better. And of course you're making the artists happy.
What did you want to be when you were growing up?
I wanted to play shortstop for the New York Yankees! "AJ Anelli" just sounds awesome over a loudspeaker coming up to bat! But "AJ" doesn't sound too bad in radio sweepers, either!