10 Questions with ... tyDi
April 15, 2014
1) Congratulations on your excellent new single, "Stay." Your music seems to span and incorporate so many different genres, and "Stay" seems to have an almost Country vibe to it. Is that what you were shooting for?
Thanks! Well, with every new track I'm always looking for an opportunity to challenge myself musically. I'd never done the indie folk thing before, and it's been really catching my attention lately! I'm a big fan of Dia Frampton's style so I just thought I'd give it a shot :)
2) How did the opportunity come about to enlist the vocal talents of Dia Frampton?
It was all just connections through my management. I met Dia in LA and she's probably one of the nicest people I've ever met. She's so humble and excited about songwriting.
3) Given the diversity of your music, does the title "Dance Music artist" fit you? How would you describe yourself as an artist?
I'd say songwriter, producer, composer and DJ ... That kind of covers it all ;) Dance music artist wouldn't cover everything because I do a lot of 'score' type music as well. My album 'Hotel Rooms' was all non-EDM, lots of orchestral and ambient.
4) Where do you do your recording? Is there a particular studio or space that you're most comfortable with?
All over the place. These days I'm mostly recording at Rondor/Universal's studios here in L.A.
5) You've toured all over the world. What are some of your favorite places to visit and perform?
This list would be huge. I've been everywhere from Russia, to India, Ibiza, Miami and Canada ... I always love playing in places that are by the beach. Hawaii is a hot spot for me!
6) Drop names ... who are some of the coolest people you've worked with, and what made them special?
Well, when I was a little kid I used to love music by Dashboard Confessional. I used to make it with girls to his music! Now Chris Carabba (from Dashboard) is on my new album! It was also fantastic to produce with BT. He's such a talent!
7) Who were some of your other musical influences growing up?
Blink 182, The Used, Taking Back Sunday, Coheed & Cambria ... the list goes on ;)
8) Talk about your radio show/podcast.
It's called Global Soundsystem and we now syndicate to 30 countries around the world! It's a weekly one-hour show filled with lots of up-and-coming dance music that people probably haven't heard yet. I try to find brand new artists every week to support on the show.
9) Talk about the technology that you use to record and perform. What would we find in your studio and DJ rig?
These days it's all software for the most part of my production, but I do record a lot of live instruments. It's not uncommon for me to record live strings, guitars, drums ... anything really. It just depends on what I'm composing. If I don't have access to live musicians I'll score a lot of my work on the laptop. I stay clear of loops or samples that everyone else uses because I like my work to be original.
10) You've been known to tweet scientific facts. Go ahead ... school us with something cool and scientific...
OK! A tiny amount (let's say a shot glass size) of a neutron star would weigh over 100 million tons!
What would we be surprised to find on your iPod?
Carly Rae Jepson! I listen to a lot of pop music ;)