10 Questions with ... Jason Tulin
February 10, 2015
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
I started out in 1993 as a board op and doing overnights, and then tried all the other things ... the evil things ... Promotions Director, sales 'UHGG," and then I took a break and realized how horrible real work and cubicles were! I jumped back into it in 2005 and had a pretty good run at Mix 107.9 SLC and now I'm up in Logan cutting my PD/MD chops. What a ride.
1) How would you describe your first radio gig?
Overnights at the big Classic Rock station in Salt Lake. I was 19 years old and board oping. I wanted my shot, the PD gave me a shot and instead of having me aircheck and going over it the next day, he had me call him at 3:30a so he could hear my very first time LIVE! WOW.
2) What led you to a career in radio?
Well, I just gravy trained off my brother. He has been around awhile doing mornings at KSON/San Diego, KBULL 98 (he is On The Beach now! HA). It's always come easy to me. I have a pretty good voice and can make people laugh, so I though "what the hell."
3) How would you describe the radio landscape in your market?
My market is strange ... we are up here in a college town 80 miles from the "city." But then our 98.3 signal broadcasts in Salt Lake, but we still need to cater to the Logan cache valley listeners. It's a fine line to walk. You always want to show up in Salt Lake, but this small college town is what takes care of us!
4) Are you wearing more "hats" than you have in the past?
YES! Do I even need to elaborate? Mornings, PD, MD, Promotions and everything else. My mistake was always fighting the changing times. I just wanted to be on air, but those days are long gone.
5) What is your favorite part of the job?
Entertaining people. I love to make people laugh.
6) What is the most challenging part of the job?
When that alarm goes off at 4:12a, its 12 degrees and dark, I do question why.
7) If you could add one full-time position to your budget right now, what would it be?
I would love to get someone in here to handle promo/remotes/social media. Anybody out there work for hay? We have tons of hay up here on the "radio ranch."
8) Who is your favorite air personality not on your staff and why do you like them?
It's a toss-up. Colin Cowherd on ESPN radiob..."self-deprecating know-it-all." I love that style. And Phil Hendrie. Pure old school genius.
9) Do you have a favorite hobby outside of radio?
Dogs, dogs, dogs! I'm a huge dog lover, helping rescues and playing with my own. I also love to work out.
10) What music do you listen to when you're not working?
I'm a huge "mood music" kinda guy. Maybe a little Elton John while I'm driving, then Lil Wayne while working out.
What ringtone do you have on your cell?
Rocky theme! YEP!