10 Questions with ... Shady Spencer
July 19, 2011
1. How did you get started in radio?
I was a singer and M.C. for two years in the U.S. Army Band & Chorus. I loved to entertain and loved the attention that I got on stage. I started mixing in clubs while I was living in Germany. I moved back to Florida after five years overseas, to finish school. I met a jock hosting a live mix show from a club in Fort Myers, who convinced me to join the station as an intern. After two weeks into the internship, the PD for WXKB, Chris Cue, asked me if I wanted a job. I was on the air that night.
2. In addition to being the PD at WNHT, you're also the morning host. Any tips on managing time?
Skip lunch and keep focused on what you need to get done for that day. Set a time and force yourself to get out of the office. Naps!!!! A short afternoon nap is mandatory if you want to stay alive. Also, be strict on your call times, and mute your phone during family time!
3. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
Ha ha. I was a nerd, for sure. I am a bit of a math genius and loved to play with money as a kid. When I was six I decided I was going to be a banker, but better yet I wanted to own a bank. When I started getting older I became more interested in music and singing. My parents had me audition for multiple talent searches including Star Search and the Mickey Mouse Club. I ended up being a music major in college and toured Europe for two years as a singer for the U.S. Army Band & Chorus.
4. If you were given extra budget to hire an additional fulltime person, what position would you hire for?
It would have to be middays for sure. With more and more budget cuts in radio and everyone having to take on more responsibility, my morning co-host also has to take on a double duty and do middays. It sucks but that has become the norm in radio now.
5. Ft. Wayne is a real blue collar city. What about Ft. Wayne would probably surprise most people?
It's diversity! When I moved here I was told this is the "mixed baby capital". When you come to Fort Wayne you notice that race is not an issue here, I wish other cities were more like Fort Wayne. It is a great place to raise kids! Voted in the top.
6. What's your favorite song on the station right now?
Hmmm...it's a tie right now. I really like Wiz Khalifa "No Sleep" and Sean Garrett "In the Box"
7. Besides www.allaccess.com, what's probably the web site you visit most?
youporn.com (oops, did I really admit that?)...probably Facebook.
8. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I have to spend as much of my time with my son. He is turning seven years old in a few weeks. Whether it's a video game, helping with homework, or even reading a book with him. And I am an Evony junky...that stupid game is so addicting!
9. If you could be on any TV reality show or game show, which would you want to be on?
Big Brother for sure. I have been a Big Brother fan for the last four years and I have to be on it next season!
10. Hypothetical question...If you were getting married in two months and you could have any group or singer perform at your reception, who would you choose?
Funny, I am actually getting married next June and someone asked me that question. hmmmmm, Eminem...out of everyone I have met since I started in radio I still have yet to meet him. How awesome would that reception be?
Do you have any phobias?
Spiders, dude! Any size, any color, it doesn't matter. All spider need to be squashed, but someone will have to do it for me?