10 Questions with ... Katrina Maldonado
August 30, 2011
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
I started interning for KCAQ in 1999. I went from morning show producer to overnights, nights, and middays in the blink of an eye. In 2006, I finally decided to explore the world of radio at KVEG doing nights; low and behold my exploration was only a 3 month stay then it was off to KXJM/Portland for a year. I know you said brief, but I'm almost done. Then I got the opportunity to work with J-Cruz rockin' mornings on KVEG as co-host for three GREAT years. Now, I'm juggling two different personalities at Gold Coast, and I love it!
1. Why Radio?
I found something I was good at.
2. To date, what is the highlight of your radio career?
Election Day 2010 interview with President Barack Obama. I said, "Thank you for doing a great job with the mess that you were handed." He said "Well, I appreciate that."
3. Did/do you have any female radio role models?
Nautica De La Cruz and Josefa Salinas were HUGE to me before I got into radio. Liz Hernandez, of course. And even though I want her gig, I totally dig Ellen K!!
4. You co-hosted mornings in Las Vegas at Hot. Do you miss that morning show vibe?
MAN!! The chemistry Noise (J CRUZ) and I had/have on and off air is magical! Something that you don't grow into or find...it was natural! He totally gets me, when sometimes I don't get me! Some days I long for that vibe. "I miss" that relationship I had with the listeners.
5. When you've had a rough day, what do you do to get back to your happy place?
Go to Starbucks, or play a few chords on the guitar.
6. You do a daily feature, The Good, The Bad And The Sexy, during Joey Boy's show on KCAQ. Most days, which category would you be in?
SEXY every day- duh!
7. Think back to being a 10 year-old. What did you want to be when you grew up?
I wanted to be a teacher...You think they would hire me with all these tattoos if this radio thing doesn't work out?
8. You're doing an airshift on one station, promotions for two, and features for KCAQ. What's the toughest hat to wear?
Knowing which hat to wear is the toughest. Some times I walk into the KCAQ studio to do my feature on the Joey Boy Show with my KFYV airshift hat on. Does that make sense?
9. What keeps you so positive?
I LOVE what I do, and do what I love on a daily basis. Not a lot of people can say that.
10. After leaving Hot in Las Vegas, you ended up working at KCAQ with your old boss, Gold Coast Dir./Programming/Broadcast Operations Brian 'Big Bear' Davis again. Since you were last at KCAQ, what's been the biggest change you've seen in 'Bear'?
Is this a trick question? I would have to say Bear is still an envisionist, and sees the whole picture before it's painted. He works hard, and believes in me and our team. The biggest change would have to be the size of his office, it's smaller!
If you were to leave Radio and music today and you could choose any other occupation, what would it be?
If you could only watch one movie, one TV show and listen to one CD, which would you choose?
Scarface, Sex and the City, and the Dj Vice - Breakfast Club mixed cd