10 Questions with ... Royce Stevenson
November 29, 2011
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- Jan. 06 -Dec. 07 - nights at KSJM/Wichita, KS
- Jan. 08 - Present - KDGS/Wichita, KS, Started as middays, then moved to afternoons. Assistant Production Director then moved to MD and Imaging Director.
1. Do you remember what first got you interested in a career in Radio?
I have always loved music and wanted to be on the radio. What really sold it for me was in 1996, I was listening to the Mad Hatta show on KBXX/Houston. He was doing afternoons then. It was the first time I really paid attention to radio outside of my home town. After hearing him, I was hooked. I knew I wanted to work in radio right then and there rolling down I-45 in Houston!
2. To date, what is the highlight of your radio career?
It has to be the first time I opened up the mic on my first airshift. It was on an overnight shift, and so excited I told everyone I knew to stay up until 2 am to hear my first break.
3. What makes Wichita a special market for you to work in?
I think it is the people. They really embrace radio here in Wichita and it is a part of their lives. It is great to have an audience that is so in tune.
4. Think back to being 10 years-old. What did you want to be when you grew up?
An astronaut or an aerospace engineer. I was really into science and astronomy as a kid.
5. If you could only watch one movie, one TV show and listen to one CD, which would you choose
The movie would be Amadeus. That is my favorite movie of all time!
The TV show I would pick would be Mr. Show with Bob and David. A great dark-humored sketch comedy show that was on HBO.
The CD would have to be Outkast - Atliens. That is a classic!
6. What's your favorite song on the air now?
Big Sean - Dance (remix feat. Nicki Minaj) mms://wm.allaccess.com/allaccess/bigsdanc2.wma
7. If you knew you were only going to be married for 72 days, what celebrity would you marry?
8. If you could have one superhero power...what would you pick?
To be able to read peoples minds.
9. You're working with a programming veteran in your PD, Greg Williams. What do you think is the most important thing he's taught you as an up-n-coming programmer?
He has taught me to be a better people manager and how to motivate others.
10. If you were to leave Radio today and you could choose any other occupation completely different from radio and the music business, what would it be?
I would love to be a documentary film maker or a chef.
If you could be on any TV reality show, which would you want to be on and why?
Keeping Up With The Kardashians - So I could get some LA Laker tickets from Khloe.