10 Questions with ... DJ Chonz
January 31, 2012
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- KGNU/Boulder - 1996-1998
- KQKS/Denver - 2001 - Present
1. What got you into radio?
I just wanted to be a mixer on radio. My goal was to get my name said by the voice guy on KS1075 or mix for Tony V, a veteran here at the station. That to me was the biggest thing in the world to hear, "DJ Chonz is in the mix".
2. You're a local boy on the radio in your hometown. How does it feel being on a beast of a station like KS107-5?
It's an honor and a blessing, John E. Kage and Bob Call have given me the opportunity to work in my hometown. I think the product reflects on the air.
3. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I wanted to wrestle in the Olympics or play football. Music came along in high school.
4. Don't you have a new mixtape out?
Yes, I think it's my best work to date. It's called Chonzy IV based off Rocky IV the movie. http://www.djchonz.com/djchonzwp/2012/01/24/chonzy-iv-digital-download
5. What excites you when listening to other DJ's mixtapes?
The blends...the wordplay...how well thought out it is...great story line...clean...sets a vibe and the concept.
6. What's your favorite song on the station right now?
French Montana - Shot Caller
7. You've been mixing on the radio and in clubs for a long time. What's the biggest difference?
There is really not too much difference. You play the hits to get the people going and when you play a new record you better follow up with something the crowds knows to keep them going.
8. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Spend time with my family, gym, sleep, eat and learn.
9. If you could be on any TV reality show or game show, which would you want to be on?
Simon Cowell's New DJ Reality show he is supposed to come out with or Master Of The Mix
10. Hypothetical question...If you were getting married in two months and you could have any DJ spin at your reception, who would it be?
I would have my cousin DJ from Denver for the elders, and Jazzy Jeff later in the night.
1. I'm afraid of heights and swarms of insects. Do you have any phobias?
That's funny. I'm scared of heights also, but most of the time when I'm scared of something or have a phobia I try to do it to get over it.