10 Questions with ... Picazzo Stevens
February 7, 2012
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
KGGI/Riverside, CA, KBOS/Fresno, CA, KDON/Monterey, CA, KISV/Bakersfield, CA, KDHT/Austin, TX
1. Before you got into radio, did you ever win an on-air contest?
Actually, I do remember getting on the air once winning tickets to "something" from KIIS when I was like 17 lol. I'm sure that cassette tape is sitting in a shoebox somewhere in my garage.
2. You started as an intern at KGGI/Riverside. Are you finding young people as eager to dive into radio?
I believe there is still plenty of interest but there are fewer stations offering programs with real potential of eventually getting employment. KGGI had an amazing program when I started out. It was very organized and hands-on. Two weeks into the internship I was offered a part-time gig. It's tough where we're at in the industry right now to keep students (interns) excited and passionate about radio when there are so few jobs available.
3. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I wanted to play 3rd base for the Dodgers! It was my senior year of High School when I turned my attention to DJing and radio.
4. You worked with now KMVA/Phoenix PD Bob Lewis for many years both at KISV/Bakersfield and KDHT/Austin. What's the most important thing he taught you...about radio and perhaps, life?
Bob and I met in 1996 when he came in as PD of KGGI. We just clicked professionally and on a personal level. He's been my mentor and closest friend since. Some of the most important lessons can be summed up by a few of his infamous sayings: "Plan your work then work your plan" and "When in doubt... jingle out" lol.
5. When someone comes to your market for the first time, where do you usually take them to get a feel for it?
6. What's your favorite song on the station right now?
"If you ever leave me baby... leave some morphine at the door...." (Singing at the top of my lungs) - I can't get Bruno Mars "It Will Rain" out of my head. I have to play it loud in the studio every time!
7. I talked to two people just this morning that say they are addicted to Storage Wars. Any "reality" TV shows you obsess over?
I'm into the competition shows "Face Off" on SYFY and "Ink Master" on Spike.
8. When you're not at the station you are ________?
Either at the gym, the movies, or home.
9. If you could trade lives with one celebrity, who would it be?
I have no desire to be a celebrity. I simply prefer success.
10. Hypothetical question...If you were getting married in two months and you could have any group or singer to perform at your reception, who would you choose?
You're now a wise veteran of what, 20 years of radio? Got any advice for someone just getting started?
I prefer "Seasoned" lol. The best advice I could give would be to make yourself as valuable as possible. Wear as many different "hats" as you can. When an opportunity at the station opens up, it should be a no-brainer that you're the guy/girl for the gig!