10 Questions with ... Booker
May 29, 2012
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- WKQI/Detroit-12/99-8/00 parttimer air talent
- KFTZ/Idaho Falls-9/00-7/01 MD/nights
- KUUU/Salt Lake City -7/01-8/03 nights
- WBVD/Melbourne -9/03-10/05 PD/MD/afternoons
- KUUU/Salt Lake City -11/05-Present APD/MD/nights
1. What's your favorite aspect of being MD at KUUU?
I've always been a fan of West Coast hip hop, so I love that we get to hop on those records. Being in the Southeast or Midwest sometimes you can't get away with playing a E-40, Game, or even the new Kendrick Lamar record. I also love all the respect KUUU gets in the industry, keeps me on my A game.
2. What got you into Radio?
Originally, my focus was television, but growing up in Detroit and getting to hear great jocks like Beau the Jammer, Jo Jo Kincaid, Romeo ( he was Booker in Detroit ), Tic Tak, and others that inspired me. I heard how much fun they were having and how they could affect emotions in people's lives. I knew I had found my calling.
3. Who on the KUUU air staff would win a Dancing With The Star type of competition?
Probably Kevin Cruise, lol
4. What do you do to relax in SLC?
Actually I find cooking to be quite relaxing and stress relieveing, BBQ season is here, catch me in the backyard grilling on the weekends now!
5. What's your dream radio market?
My dream is to do radio in my hometown of Detroit again someday...the ATL would be cool, too though. (hint, hint! Lol)
6. What's your favorite song on the station right now?
Loving the new DJ Khaled right now, it just sounds great on the air.
7. What advice did you have for KUUU's new morning man, Ron T about moving to Salt Lake City?
Don't go past the "Point of the Mountain" I did, and it's a trip you never come back from!
8. You've been a PD before. Do you want to be back in that chair someday?
YES!! Definitely hoping I'll get the opportunity to be a PD again soon.
9. Off the top of your head, what is Salt Lake City missing?
Dunkin Donuts...I'm missing me some Coffee Coolattas!
10. Salt Lake City isn't exactly South Padre Island at Spring Break. How is the Salt Lake City club scene?
Surprisingly the club scene here is pretty good, we got some hot clubs in Downtown SLC, I've hosted at almost all of them. It's nice because unlike most big cities we get early crowds, on a given night the club is packed by like 10:30, which is unheard of in most places!
What's the biggest mistake you've made on any of the social media platforms? Have you ever posted anything embarrassing to you or anyone on your staff?
Yes, forgetting to delete my personal cell number on my Facebook page, had a listener actually call me. Luckily they were cool about not calling the number anymore and I didn't have to change my number. A former promotion director once posted something about me that was embarrassing. I won't say what it pertained to!
Boyshorts or thongs?
Boyshorts all the way! (but I look hotter in a thong)