10 Questions with ... Shaggy
June 19, 2012
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
I started out when I was just 19. Started off doing crazy stunts and DJing at clubs and worked my way to the Music Director spot and I've been with the same station for 10 years. My entire career has been with Entercom and I wouldn't change one thing.
1. What got you into radio?
I use to be a dj in the area at a young age and I dj for producer Teddy Riley. He knew someone at the station and they were looking for a young kid who was local and he sent me to meet with them. That was the day I met Don London. And Don hired me.
2. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I wanted to do something in music. I knew I had a gift to hear singles but I didn't know how to use that gift other than spinning records.
3. When you're not working, what do you like to do with your time?
FAMILY...I am a total family guy. My wife and my son, Brod,y are everything and we are proud to say we are expecting our second child in September.
4. You and WNVZ are coming off another successful Shaggfest. How did the event get started?
I started doing local music shows in the area like two years ago and I wanted to build a show that was just for Virginia so I came up with the idea to take ALL local talent and put them on the same stage. I mean like country to rock to rap to old school hip hop. So, it's VA version of SXSW.
5. Could Timbaland make you are music star?
Probably, Timbaland is a genius and is always 10 steps in front of any other producer. He's a true musician and will go down as ONE of the best to ever do it.
6. What's your favorite song on the station right now?
Um that's tough because it depends on the mood I'm in but anytime you can have John Legend or Robin Thicke on the radio, that's a good day.
7. Describe a perfect Shaggy date?
Down at the beach with my wife and son riding bikes.
8. If the Z104 staff were all on Survivor together, would you would probably win?
No, because I'm a super picky eater. On day 1 if they say we have to eat something crazy I'm voting myself off the island!
9. Hypothetical question...If you were getting married in two months and you could have any group or singer perform at your reception, who would you choose?
Well I've been married for 4 years but if my wife and I were getting married I would want John Legend to sing at the wedding and Robin Thicke to sing at the reception and then Slim from 112 to sing on our honeymoon.
10. Beer and pizza or sushi and sake?
Well I don't drink nor have I ever even tasted it so I'll stick with pizza and Mountain Dew.
When you travel, where do you like to go and what do you like to do?
Wherever there is a beach and music.