10 Questions with ... Yung Jon Que
July 10, 2012
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- KUCD/Honolulu nights 6/99-10/05
- KDDB/Honolulu afternoons/imaging(chr) 1/06-11/06
- KLUC/Las Vegas middays/mix show 12/06-present
1. What got you into radio?
It's always been a childhood dream. I remember being in the car with my dad and talking along with the DJ on the radio. I knew then it was what I wanted to do.
2. What was the biggest change in the move from Honolulu to Las Vegas?
The weather, of course. Las Vegas is known as the "9th" island which makes it hard for me to get homesick. I do miss the beach from time to time. It did make things easier having one of my best friends, our current Imaging Director John James (from Honolulu), already working at KLUC with Cat.
3. When you were a little kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
Believe it or not, exactly what I'm doing right now was my childhood dream. I used to have three way phone calls with my friends when I was about 12 years old and I would do mini countdowns while they were on the phone with cassette tapes.
4. When you live in Las Vegas, how hard is it to stay out of the casinos?
For me it's pretty easy since I'm not much of a gambler. I lose $10.00 and it's like the worst day of my life! I just stay away.
5. Does Las Vegas have a soft, sensitive side?
Of course! Before I moved here I thought it was all about gambling and partying but it really isn't. Believe it or not, Las Vegas has a softer side or maybe its just my point of view working with 98.5 KLUC. We really get involved with the community. A great example is Chet Buchanan and the Morning Zoo's annual Toy Drive!
6. We know what visitors to Las Vegas do. What do you, as a Las Vegas resident, do with your time off work?
I consider myself a foodie LOL. I love going to different restaurants and discovering new and tasty dishes. When I'm not working on the radio I'm usually glued to caring for my animals. I LOVE fish. I have a huge saltwater fish tank, 2 desert tortoises, and a dog named Brewski that I got from the shelter. I LOVE animals.
7. Your boss is Cat Thomas. What animal best describes Cat as a boss?
An eagle. He waits up high watching and waiting and you're not sure what his plan is or what he is thinking, you just wait for a response. Then when the right time comes he reacts.
8. When guests come to visit you, do you have a "go to" show on the strip to take them to?
My favorite show on the strip has to be Blue Man Group! It's a must see and I ALWAYS take out of town friends to see it.
9. If you could be on any TV reality show or game show, which would you want to be on?
When I was a little kid I always wanted to be on that show on Nickelodeon with the huge obstacle course with all the slime LOL! Now it would have to be Myth Busters! That's my absolute favorite.
10. Hypothetical question...If you were getting married in two months and you could have any group or singer perform at your reception, who would you choose?
Right now I'm really diggin' Ellie Goulding. I would have to have her there and if she couldn't make it I would say UB40.
Beer and pizza or sushi and sake?
Sushi and sake, of course!