10 Questions with ... Mercedes Howard "Ya Girl Cedes"
August 21, 2012
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
I got my first shot in radio in San Diego where I became a traffic reporter an later became a weekend/night co host at Channel 933. After four years I made the choice to leave my hometown and join KS1075 in Denver and I've been here ever since.
1. What got you into radio?
My grandparents and my father have all been radio personalities at one point, in there lives. I guess you can say it was kind of in my blood to give it a shot. I always loved to talk, and had an ear for music so I thought this job would be a perfect fit for me.
2. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
For some Odd reason I always thought I was going to grow up and be the next Mariah Carey. Oh, how things change.
3. I know you've been in Denver for awhile now but what was the biggest change in the move from San Diego to Denver?
The weather! This Cali girl had never seen snow before moving here. The good thing is that saying about Denver is correct! "If you don't like the weather now, wait five minutes...it will change."
4. What makes being on the air exciting for you?
Being on air gives me the ability to create a vibe and atmosphere that no one can see! I love it. In a listener's mind they might think I'm in a studio getting ready to hit a club with all the energy I have, however I'm really just there with sweat pants and a pair of beat up Nikes on.
5. In the Top 40 world, there just aren't that many women night jocks. What do you bring to the position that a male counterpart may not?
I've got flavor and I'm youth driven. I spend a lot of time outside of my show and in my show connecting with different high schools throwing them mini "Jam in the Gyms" during there lunch hours.
I feel at night time, I cater to a younger demo. For them being able to meet me is a huge deal but for me to come to there school with a DJ an just hangout is something that they will remember for a long time! Those are the type of marks I like to leave in people's minds.
6. Historically, the KS107.5 staff has been among the most stable in a business ripe with turnover. I picture it like family. Are there any dirty little family secrets you can share?
FAMILY is definitely how we are! Besides me sharing my Ovation hair care treatments with are male afternoon jock DJ Chonz, who is like my brother, I have no secrets.
7. If your boss, John E. Kage, weren't the PD of a radio station what career path would you choose for him?
Realtor, for sure. He is the ultimate "People Person". He is a very hands-on type of guy and has no problem shooting the truth to you and giving you the best offer he can in any situation.
8. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Kickboxing has become my new favorite thing to do on off days as well as hitting up shooting ranges.
9. If you could be on any TV reality show or game show, which would you want to be on?
I actually had this dream come true recently I was on the "Price Is Right" meet Drew, made it to the showcase showdown, lost a Camaro, but all-in-all, that was the best experience ever!
10. The tragic shooting in Aurora brought out so much emotion throughout the country and the world. I can only imagine what it felt like in Denver. What did you do on the air to address your emotions and the feelings of your listeners?
I literally shut down my show. I opened phone lines to each an every single person in the community, and the response was bigger than imagined. I heard from celebrities, our youths, from parents. I feel like it gave a chance for people to communicate in a bigger way and really express how they felt
What makes you cry?
What's the best meal in Denver?
I'm a huge fan of Cherry Cricket, basically the best Burger joint you have ever had in your LIFE! It's been on the Travel Channel's Man vs Food, so you know its got to be good.