10 Questions with ... Kyle Santillian
May 21, 2013
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
Host of Santillian & The Wild Out Wake Up Show on 102 Jamz! (Greensboro, NC)
I've been doing mornings here for 9 year. Long story short, I worked my way up from intern, to promotions Street Coordinator, to PT on air and then did nights for 2 years before I got to mornings. All here at 102 Jamz!
1. What got you into radio?
I would say my love for music, initially. Towards the end of high school, I started DJing around the way, so when I got to college the progression was kind of natural. Once I got my internship at Jamz, it was no question that I was going to make this a career.
2. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
First I wanted to be an architect, then when I started DJing, I wanted to own my own night club.
3. Name a couple things that make Greensboro a special radio market to you?
The people! So much of what we do involves the listener that you really get to understand the personality of the people in the market, and they're great. They're friendly and a lot more liberal than people would think being in the Bible Belt. They let it all hang out on the air.
Another special thing about the market is how much the college life is integrated into everyone's life here. Whether you are a student or not, with so many schools here, it kind of dictates events, nightlife and just everyday living.
4. At what point did you begin to see yourself hosting a morning show?
The Day I got offered the job! At the time, I had the night show poppin' and that was what I concerned myself with. When I was presented with the opportunity to do mornings, I recognized the opportunity for growth and accepted the position.
5. Do you remember your first aircheck session with your boss, Brian Douglas? What was the 'highlight'?
Yes, I do. I was a part-timer filling in for nights and I thought I did a great job. When I told Brian how I felt, he suggested we listen to the aircheck of that particular show. We did..... and that aircheck session got me the night position fulltime!
6. Who does the morning show with you at Jamz?
Its me, B-Daht and DJ MC every morning!
7. Who are some of your radio mentors?
I've been lucky enough to have some great people give me great advice over the years!
One of the 1st people to ever reach out to me was Tre Black (Rest in Peace.)
Buckwilde (formerly of 95.7 Jamz in Birmingham) is someone who I speak to regularly.
Uzi D, PD of Power 92 in Richmond is a great mentor.
Apollo from Apollo Productions always has some good advice for me.
Over the years, Rick Party has had some inspiring words for me as well.
8. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I like to watch movies when I can....I'm so behind, though. Spare time isn't as available as it used to be.
9. You are trapped on a deserted tropical island for six months. Don't ask me how, but you have access to only one album, one movie and one season of a TV show. Name the album, movie and TV show you'd want with you?
- Album: The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
- Movie: Goodfellas (this is very difficult, though)
- TV Show: The Wire - Season 4
10. Hypothetical question...If you were getting married in two months and you could have any group or singer perform at your reception, who would you choose?
The Lauryn Hill of 1998'....Not the crazy Lauryn Hill of today.
Beer and pizza or sushi and sake?
Beer and Pizza....NO QUESTION
Favorite or 'go-to' meal in Greensboro?
Probably "Cook Out!"
It's a NC fast food chain where the food is prepared like you got it from a "cook out"
I need a Barbecue Style, Grilled Chicken Tray with Seasoned Fries and Onion Rings and a HUGE Sweet Tea!