10 Questions with ... Brian Gray
May 28, 2013
1. What was your first music industry gig?
Does Music + count? Does being a paid intern at Hollywood Records count? Otherwise, I'm still at my first 'official' gig...Interscope Records (before it became Interscope Geffen A&M Records)
2. What do you love most about living and working in Los Angeles?
The weather! You can't beat Southern California weather.
3. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I don't think I ever had one specific thing in mind. I liked sports, I liked music and when computers came around, well, I'm a nerd, so I was into computers (just not Calculus!)
4. At Interscope, you have a tremendous artist roster. Who are some of the new artists that have really impressed you?
Kendrick Lamar and Schoolboy Q from TDE; French Montana making moves! I'm excited to work the Hitboy project and can't wait to see what new stuff comes from Drop City Yacht Club, they are great guys!
5. When you have visitors in Los Angeles, do you have a 'go to' restaurant for dinner?
Hmmm, not really. I'm not fancy so I would take folks to Saddle Ranch because they had the Smoking Mai Tai. But, I'm trying to find a new 'go to' spot. I've been dining at new places, so there are some future prospects.
6. What's your favorite non Interscope record on the radio? (don't want to put you on the spot with any of the Interscope roster.)
I like the Daft Punk/Pharrell record "Get Lucky"....and Major Lazer Feat. Bruno Mars, Tyga & Mystic "Bubble Butt"
7. You've achieved so much from such a humble (cough: UCLA) beginning. What drives you?
It's always been breaking new artist. It's the best feeling in the world to watch an artist grow into super stardom knowing you were involved with a great team to make it happen!
8. Besides workout, what do you like to do in your spare time?
Let's see....work....workout...and then sleep! I like to catch a movie from time to time.
9. I've heard the phrase, 'What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas' but I've never heard similar applied to Knoxville, TN. What gives, Killa B?
I don't know, because What Happens in Knoxville stays in Knoxville, because NOTHING happens in Knoxville!
10. Hypothetical question...If you were getting married in two months and you could have any group or singer perform at your reception, who would you choose?
Married?????????? What's that?
Got a favorite vacation spot?
I've got two: Cabo San Lucas and Seattle, because it's ALWAYS sunny in Seattle when I'm there!