10 Questions with ... J Will
October 8, 2013
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
I'm a 23-year old, 14-year veteran that started hosting a Saturday morning show on WAJZ at 10 years old, moved to heritage Top 40 WFLY (Fly 92.3) at 16. I left for college and college radio at WPNR/Utica and then came back to FLY as morning show producer then morning host. I was named PD in April of this year.
1. Your father was in radio and actually held the PD post at WAJZ for some time. Did he start you in Radio? Was there ever anything else you wanted to do, professionally?
Yes, shout outs going out to my pops, The Sugar Bear! He hired me. I thank his OM at the time, Mike Morgan, for stopping me in the hallways at 9-years old asking me, "So when are you going to be on the radio?" Growing up if there wasn't a microphone in my hand there was a toy gun because I would imagine I was Malik Yoba on New York Undercover (detective was a career choice) or I had a basketball and dreamt of being a point guard for the Georgetown Hoyas before going pro!
2. What has been the biggest change for you in moving up to the PD position?
Getting the team to buy into my vision. Having been a team player for 3.5 years as morning host, I knew we needed a clear cut direction and it would be an adjustment taking on a leadership role. My team has been phenomenal!
3. How has being the PD affected how you do the morning show?
I don't get my 2 pm naps anymore. lol. The transition hasn't really affected my show. The Jamboree and being the PD are two different roles. Boss work doesn't start until 10am.
4. You jumped into radio at a very young age. Ever feel like you missed out on part of your youth?
Not at all. I was able to do everything a kid does; I just happened to live it out on the radio. I played sports, went on Chuck E Cheese dates, and talked about spankings if I brought home a 'C.'
5. Not going to lie...I hear 'Albany' and I think snow. What about Albany would probably surprise people that haven't been there?
There's this huge 'Egg' in the heart of the city that people perform in.
6. What's your favorite song on the station right now?
August Alsina - I Luv This...I'm riding that bring R&B back wave!!!!
7. If you could do ANYTHING else for a living, what would you want to do?
Host of a TV show. I've always dreamt of being an entertainment conglomerate like Ryan Seacrest. Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve with J Will has a nice ring to it!
8. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Sleep (when I can get it), watch the New York Knicks, steal your girl, no but really, I love women.
9. If you could be on any TV reality show or game show, which would you want to be on?
Family Feud. I'm telling you, the Williams Family would shut it down!
10. As we head toward the end of the year, what would you like to do better as a PD in 2014?
I want to help break more hits, manage my time better, and continue to help my team reach their full potential. We're all here to grow and leave an impact every day.
Football-wise does Albany tend to support the Giants or the Jets?
Albany is 50/50. I'm all ATLANTA FALCONS though!!!! The city knows (
Rihanna still #1 on your list? Any challengers?
Do bears shit in the woods? Twerk Ri Ri, twerk!