10 Questions with ... Cisco
November 19, 2013
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
KARX/Amarillo 1992-1994, KQIZ/Amarillo 1995-1997, KNIN/Wichita Falls 1997, KQIZ/Amarillo 1997-2000, KKWD/OKC 2000-present
1. What originally got you into radio?
I loved listening to Power 104 and 93Q in Houston in the late 80's. A great Top 40 battle! I loved the sound of the imaging and jingles. Then I really got into radio after moving to Amarillo, TX. I began as an annoying kid bugging the hell out of the night jock to intro song #6 on the weeknight countdown. I got my start with the launch of Classic Rock KARX in Amarillo.
2. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
First a professional NHRA Drag Racer...followed shortly by a DJ!
3. As an Oklahoma City resident, and a tornado 'vet', what goes through your mind when you hear about another area, such as Illinois this weekend, getting hit by tornadoes?
I think about the preparation. We're very tornado prepped here in Oklahoma, more so than any other place in the country, so I can only imagine what people are thinking and how they are dealing with the devastation. I was listening to CNN interviewing a couple about losing their home and they said they heard the warning on TV and even got it on their phone but kept drinking their Sunday morning coffee. Next thing you know their house is leveled. People need to heed those warnings. These storms can be very unpredictable and as you can see destructive. Those communities will rebuild, we just hope they learn and heed the warnings. Very lucky more people didn't lose their lives with the power of those tornadoes. Mother Nature is beautiful but also very mean and can strike anywhere.
4. If you had a preference, would you play middle linebacker or quarterback?
Middle linebacker. Loved laying hits on some folk!
5. Can you describe Oklahoma City like it was a person?
It's a smart-ass 15 year old...wait...that's my kid. OKC is a growing young adult that enjoys time with family and friends but likes to get down and dirty and get the job done. It's doesn't take sh*t from anyone, either.
6. What's your favorite song on the station right now?
Really like the Eminem/Rihanna "The Monster" and Lupe Fiasco/Ed Sheeran "Old School Love"
7. We're winding down 2013. What would you like to do better in 2014?
I'd like to manage my time better and be able to accomplish more. Grind it baby!
8. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I love to watch Vikings football even though they're brutal this season. I'm a big OKC Thunder fan too! I love to get out in the yard on my ole' John Deere and mow. It's my personal time to reflect and drink. Almost got a DWM (drunk while mowing)
9. If you could be on any TV reality show or game show, which would you want to be on?
I'd love to be on Gold Rush. Digging for gold in Alaska, that'd be a blast!
10. Let's say a record label had a brand new rep in your territory and they were coming to OKC to meet for dinner. Where would you go for the definitive OKC dining experience?
Cattlemen's Steak House. It's been around since 1910 in historic StockYard City. Get the Blue Ribbon special, salad with house dressing and lamb fries as an appetizer.
I have a college friend who recently made a grilled chicken salad for an evening football game meal. Would that be allowed in Oklahoma or Texas? What might the punishment be? And by the way, he happens to be a Permian Panther.
For a Panther? No way! They beat us every year in the playoffs of high school football. It would be ok but we'd definitely make fun of him. You gotta roll with burgers and dogs or BBQ.
If you needed a celebrity host for your morning show for one week, who would you pick?
Eminem...I'd love to hear how many times we'd have to use the dump button.