10 Questions with ... Royce Stevenson
January 28, 2014
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- Jan. 06 -Dec. 07 - nights at KSJM/Wichita, KS
- Jan. 08 - Present - KDGS/Wichita, KS, Started as middays, then moved to afternoons. Assistant Production Director then moved to MD and Imaging Director.
1. If I wasn't in radio, I'd be __________?
I would love to be an audio engineer, or someone who mixes and masters songs. The tech side of recorded audio and everything involved in making a record has always interested me.
2. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I wanted to be an astronaut, but I wear glasses so a close second was an astronomer. I loved learning about science and the planets when I was growing up.
3. The Wichita State University basketball team is undefeated this year. How is the excitement building in the market?
It is beyond anything I have ever seen in the city of Wichita. Everyone is wearing the Shocker colors around the city and extremely proud of the team and Wichita State. Being in a state with such huge basketball programs as Kansas and Kansas State, all you usually hear about it is the Wildcats and the Jayhawks, so it is really cool for the Shockers to be in the mix.
4. You're living and working in the city you born and raised in. Is there a downside to that?
Not at all. There is nothing like doing radio in a city that you were born and raised in. When doing remotes and promotions, being able to personally know the people who are there is priceless.
5. If you could change one thing about Wichita, what do you think you'd change?
I think a lot of people are stuck in their ways here, and are afraid of change. So one think I would change is for the city and the people not to be scared of change.
6. What's your favorite song on the station right now?
Paranoid by Ty$Dolla Sign. Love that song.
7. If your boss, Greg Williams, was a high school teacher what subject do you think he'd teach?
Too easy...History! Greg is a huge History buff, and I am a History major so when you get the both of us together talking about the Presidents, Revolutionary or Civil Wars then watch out because we will be talking for hours.
8. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I really love audio production, so I am always trying to produce something. Also, I am a bit of a comic book nerd, so I read those a lot.
9. American Idol, The Voice or X Factor?
10. In this business, we get the opportunity to meet many artists from newbies to superstars. Who haven't you met but would really like to?
Drake just because he is one of my favorite artists and P. Diddy just to pick his brain about business, marketing and branding... and his music too!
If you had to eat one type of meal everyday for a month, what would it be?
I could eat Thai food everyday. Give me some yellow curry chicken, with fried rice and sriracha sauce and I'm in heaven.
Your "go to" romantic spot in Wichita?
We got some nice local places here, Scotch and Sirloin and Larkspur. Sadly, when you think of Wichita, you don't think of to many romantic places.