10 Questions with ... Scott Penk
June 3, 2014
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- WAJZ-middays/Imaging Director
- Imaging for WYJB and WEHP
1. What got you into radio?
When I was a kid me my cousin would pretend to be talk show host and record our shows on a TalkBoy. Then at the age of 16 I got my hands on a copy of Cool Edit and I fell in love with production so when the time came to get a 'real' job, radio was the first and only thing I thought of.
2. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I wanted to be an astronaut and be the first person to walk on Mars but when I realized how complicated science was that dream faded fast.
3. You're the Imaging Director and midday personality at WAJZ. Don't you do imaging for other stations, too?
I do imaging for two other radio stations; Hot AC WYJB (B95.5)/Albany, NY, and Top 40/Mainstream WEHP (Happi 92.7)/Erie, PA.
4. When your boss comes to you with an imaging project, after, 'When do you need it?'; what's the next question you ask?
Usually we come up with a lot of the contesting and imaging together so I get a feel for it ahead of time. My PD puts a lot of trust in me to find the proper sound that fits the 'Jamz 96.3' brand. When I do have questions I don't hesitate to ask. It could be 'Is there a certain clip or sound you want?' to 'is it cool if the promo's this long?'
5. Prod room or on-air studio?
I could live in the Prod Room. That's where I feel the most comfortable and creative!
6. Highest compliment a PD can give his Imaging guru?
When they noticing a random imaging element that's real simple and quick and tell you how great it sounds and when they say 'put that on your demo!'
7. If you weren't in radio, what do you think you'd be doing professionally?
I would be a stuntman because I like to do dangerous stuff from time to time.
8. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I play in a softball league and do a lot of fishing. I really like to be outside enjoying the sun!
9. If you were The Bachelor, describe which contestant you'd go for?
I'm not sure because I haven't seen that show in a while but if I was The Bachelor I would be going for the contestant who argued and yelled the least. I can't deal with all that ratchetness, it gives me a headache!
10. As an Imaging Director, do you have any favorite imaged stations?
I really like how KTU in New York! I think Dave Foxx is one of the best in the business and you can learn a lot from listening to the stations he images and from having a conversation with him.
If you had to eat one type of meal everyday for a month, what would it be?
Probably Peanut Butter and Jelly. You can never go wrong with a PPJ, plus they're so easy to make.
I saw a photo of you on Facebook with an ice fishing drill. Please explain the attraction of ice fishing?
I love to fish and do dangerous stuff every now and then, and the best way to combine them is to ice fish. The adrenalin rush you get from standing in the middle of a lake and cutting a hole in it just keeps me coming back for more! Plus there's not that much to do during the winter time in Albany, NY.