10 Questions with ... Chunky
June 17, 2014
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- WNKS/Charlotte - Part time '98-2000
- WNKS/Charlotte - Full time late nights 2000-2003
- KZMG (Magic 93.1)/Boise 2003-2004 morning show
- WHBQ/Memphis 2005-2006 nights
- WKQI/Detroit 2006-2009 nights
- WXRK then WNOW (92.3 Now)/New York 2009-2012 nights
- XHTZ (Jammin' Z90)/San Diego 2012-2013 Morning show host
- WRDW/Philadelphia 2013- current Morning show host
1. What got you into radio?
I was always goofy and made fake radio Airchecks with my brother when I was a kid. I wanted to go to a college that had a radio station to try it out. I got on air on Sundays at 4 am. I got bit by the bug and haven't looked back since.
2. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I wanted to be an eye doctor or a trash man that rode on the back and jumped off at every house. That or a Major League Baseball player.
3. What was the biggest change in the move from San Diego to Philadelphia?
The weather for sure! Although I am a HUGE fan of winter, I did love the sunny and 75 degree temps at Christmas time in San Diego!
4. You've dropped a few pounds. How much weight have you lost?
I have lost a total of 219 pounds as of June 17th, 2014. My entire life has changed!
5. What was your motivation to lose the weight and get in shape?
Well, as I transitioned into mornings from a fun and successful night show run, I decided I needed to become an adult. Being engaged and getting ready to marry my fiancée, Kristen, made me want to stick around for a while and raise a family one day. Also, if we are being real, being the morning host you're supposed to be the face of the radio station. I felt that being at the weight I was at, I wasn't putting my best/most marketable self forward. So I decided to do something about it.
6. If Tingle was on Game Of Thrones, what character would he play?
I don't watch that show, so I'm not sure. HOWEVER, Tingle is one of the most talented people I have had the chance to work with. But he IS crazy. So I would place him on MTV True Life: I'm out of my mind ...if I were to place him on a TV show.
7. If you weren't in radio, what do you think you'd be doing professionally?
That is a great question that I hope to never find out the answer to.
8. When you're not at the station where would we find you?
Shopping for Clothes/Kicks or Groceries. On a YOLO road trip with my girl. Maybe watching TV or at the car wash or something of that nature.
9. If you could be on any TV reality show or game show, which would you want to be on?
Shipping Wars. That show is my jam!!
10. Comedy-wise...sketch comedy like SNL or stand-up, which do you prefer?
I would say sketch comedy. But I have a massive appreciation for stand up comics.
In the world of sports, the fans in Philadelphia have a reputation for being very demanding. How are the Wired 96.5 and the Big Philly Show fans?
They are exactly the same. This city is blunt and honest. I love it, it helps you try to stay on point and make yourself better everyday.
Lemme send my shout outs:
Anyone who has ever hired me:
- Dom Theodore: (This man saw something in me very early and molded and crafted me into who I am on the air today. I can't thank him enough for all he has done for me)
- Drew Parham
- John Reynolds
- Jim Allen
- Karson Tager
- Rob Wagman
- Greg Strasell
- Don Boloukas
- Dan Mason
- Chris Olivero
- Tracy Johnson
- Dan Hunt
- Natalie Connor
- Bruce Beasley
- The entire Beasley Family