10 Questions with ... Chris Lawrence
July 15, 2014
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
Chris Lawrence, is a singer songwriter and musician. He has gone from the church choir where he sang and played drums to becoming a favorite on the local Minneapolis bar scene.
Under the direction of his managers, Tim Wilson and Roberta Ryan of Urban World Management, we introduced Chris to our friend and super producer Kay Gee of Naughty By Nature and Divine Mill, where the two of them connected immediately and the magic in the studio began!
He has prevailed under the bright lights of American Idol stages, not once but twice and has performed locally for many huge events in his hometown.
His producer, Kay Gee has partnered up with Pulse Music NY and Pitbull's Mr 305 Inc, and with this solid machine behind him, he's on the way to bringing his hybrid of popular music, infused with some soul and classic hip hop to the world of music on a global scale. Get ready!!
1. What or who inspired you to start in music?
My entire family...they all sing or play an instrument, I grew up around music...it's in my blood!
- Personally: My uncle Nate inspired me
- Mainstream: It would be John Mayer and Justin Timberlake.
2. When you were a little kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
Always new I wanted to be a 'RockStar', a singer or involved in with music in some way.
3. What's it like hearing your work on the radio?
It was like I was on a rollercoaster. My hands were shaking and I couldn't believe it was me on the radio!!!
4. Name a few vocalists you'd like to collaborate with at some point?
Wow, there are so many...of course Pitbull, Usher, Drake, Justin Timberlake and Bruno Mars.
5. What will probably surprise people the most about your new album?
I think I have a unique and different sound to my music. It's like Hip Hop beats over Pop and R&B vocals. I don't think anyone's out there doing that with a guitar.
6. Do you have an opinion about the multitude of singing competition shows on TV now?
I think that they are poppin' up more and more because everyone wants to sing. The unfortunate thing is that they are poppin' up everywhere and it takes away from each individual singer and then becomes more about the show!
The one thing I got from being on American Idol was the artist development part of it. Learning how to interview and being in the spotlight...that experience was a good thing.
7. Word association game...I say, 'Withdrawal' and you say this first thing that pops into your head?
8. What do you like to do in what little spare time you have?
I like to play basketball, workout, watch movies and of course write songs!
9. Are fans around the country going to be able to see you on tour soon?
Man, I hope real soon!
10. Hypothetical question...If you were getting married in two months and you could have any group or singer perform at your reception, who would you choose? (not including you)?
Justin Timberlake or Al Green
If you had to eat one type of meal everyday for a month, what would it be?
It would be a burrito from my favorite Mexican restaurant on 13th and Broadway in NYC.
I actually eat it everyday when I'm in NY recording. That's my joint!
If you could have any super power for one week, which would you choose?
I would want the power of Speed... so I can teleport and not have to go through Withdrawal.