10 Questions with ... DJ Erb
November 11, 2014
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
Started mixing in 1991. Started radio in 2002 mixing for KBOS and the Juice Crew Morning Show.
Became Production Director for B95 in 2004. In 2006 started mixing the 2 hour Traffic Jam from 5 to 7pm. 2009 Promoted to Music Director.
1. What's your favorite thing about radio as a career?
The fact that I get to do what I always wanted to do with the turntables, everyday. I remember my mother used to tell me to turn off the music and go to bed but I mixed in the headphones after she went to sleep.
2. If your son or daughter came to you and said, "I want to go into radio." What would be your immediate reaction?
I would be happy and supportive. I learned a lot from radio and I can see them doing the same.
3. Who were some of your early radio and music mentors?
I was nspired by Dr. Dre, Grandmaster Flash, Joe Cooley, Jazzy Jim, DJ Cash Money, Cameron Paul, Baka Boyz and Jay Swing.
4. Who would you pick to star in a movie about your life in radio?
5. What would probably surprise most people about Fresno?
I would say the amount of Raiders fans out here!. Seriously, the size of Fresno and how we are much more than just agriculture.
6. What's your favorite song on the station right now?
It would have to be Lifestyle by Rich Gang. I'm still decoding the chorus.
7. You're Fresno born and raised. What about the city are you most proud of?
I'm old school so if I have to mention Poppin' Pete. One of the originators of the "popping" dance style grew up in Fresno!
8. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Spend as much time with my children as possible. They grow so fast and I don't want to miss anything with them.
9. Do you have any musical guilty pleasures?
Lately, it's driving home listening to a lot of 70's and 80's funk bands. I love the sound of real drums and funk synths.
10. Not all club records make it big on the radio. What's you favorite club record that didn't do as well on the radio?
Schoolboy Q - Collard Greens. The record killed on my college night but it didn't connect with radio as well as it should have.
If you had to eat one type of meal everyday for a month, what would it be?
I've sold my soul to sushi.
Would you rather be an Avenger or one of the X-Men?
An Avenger, all day!