10 Questions with ... Eric Bunda "DJ Kool E"
February 3, 2015
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
I started in radio as a intern at Wild 107 (now 94.9 KYLD)/San Fransisco from 1993-1994.
I moved to Hawaii and worked at KIKI in promotion, as the street guy on the morning show and later landed on the number 1 night show with Lanai and Augie T from 1995-1997.
I went across street to the KQMQ night show. In 2000, I came to KDDB and have been here for 14 years. This year marks 20 years in radio! So blessed to be doing what I love!
1. What got you into radio?
Started listening to the mixers like Cameron Paul and would record them every night. After that, I started listening to the Bay Area's finest Michael Erickson, Rick Chase, Doug Lee, Theo Mizuhara and many more. That's when I wanted to get into radio. I'm so grateful that Doug Lee gave me a shot to be his intern at Wild 107.
2. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I wanted to become a dj that spun records. My parents had huge record collection and I was amazed that music was coming from these records.
3. What was the biggest change in the move from the Bay to Hawaii?
The Bay to me was very fast pace lifestyle and always on the go. But when I moved to Hawaii it's very laid back with lots of Aloha!
4. What isn't paradise about living and working in Honolulu/Hawaii?
The hurricanes and bad traffic problems.
5. What would probably surprise most people about Honolulu?
We don't live in grass shacks! We have son many awesome places to eat. Food trucks, local food places and twenty four Korean BBQ restaurants were I go for that late night meal!!
6. What's your favorite song on the station right now?
Uptown Funk! Bruno Mars, the local boy that's made it big!
7. If you weren't in radio, what do you think you'd be doing professionally?
Maybe the audio visual guy at a major hotel.
8. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Spend time with my family. I enjoy the beach, fishing and playing with my kids.
9. If you could be on any TV reality show or game show, which would you want to be on?
Family Feud! Steve Harvey is a perfect host for that show and I would probably give a dumb answer and get that look from him.
10. What do you predict will be the highlight of the Grammys?
I think these UK artist like Sam Smith and Ed Sheeran will make highlights and take home some Grammys
If you had to eat one type of meal everyday for a month, what would it be?
Your "go to" romantic spot in Honolulu?
Ko'olina located on the West side of Oahu. Beautiful sunsets are amazing!