10 Questions with ... Damion "Damizza" Young
March 24, 2015
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
1. Which came first...passion for music or a passion for radio?
Passion for music, which lead to radio.
2. When you were named MD at KPWR did anything about the gig feel intimidating to you?
No, it was a joyous occasion
3. You were just on a long promotion run. Who were you rolling with?
Leilani Shiu (Babyree/Rose Lane VP of Promotions), Lil'Bams ( Baby Ree / Rose Lane Dubshakk artist ) , Miles Gaines (Artist), Fred-Ex (driver extraordinaire) ,Townes aka the mascot aka the dog , Skippy~ producer (we stopped in Houston to produce music with Baby Bash ) . Leilani's Radio team Lester Pace and Lady C joined us in Texas.
4. Where were some of the stops and who'd you see?
Santa Maria to Houston to San Antonio and back. Fifteen stops, I believe. We connected with Dj E Wreck (KPAT), Bear, Quay, Mambo (KCAQ), Mikey Fuentes and DJ Complex (KKFR), DJ Tosh (KHHM), Homie Marco (KBBT,KKSS,KVVF) , Patty Diaz (KPRR), Slo Motion (KPRR), Don Parker (KMEL), Travis Loughran (KYLD) , Mark Adams (KYLD), Jazzy Jim (KMVQ), Chuy and Mindmotion (KVVF), George Cook (KKDA), Mo Dave (Radio One/Dallas), OG Ron C (KQBT), Anthony A (KKSS), and a lot of friends old and new in between. Also last but not least, went to visit my mentor, Michael Newman. Love him!
5. Aren't you working on a project with Bone Thugs N Harmony?
This single "More Than Thugs" is the second installment of the Damizza presents brand. Last time around we had tremendous success with the first single , "Where I Wanna Be" with Nate Dogg and Kurupt. Then we roll into the Bone Thugs N Harmony album this summer along with a TQ album, too. Needless to say, I am excited.
6. Who else are you producing for now?
Joe Moses, RJ, 2 Chainz and TQ , Ohno(from LA) , pre production on King Lil G , Lil'Bams, Mr. Criminal, Frost, Bishop Lamont, Kam, Down, Terry Reid, Vinny Clemente, Lil Skipps, Eru, Kritical, Loso, Bae, Stevie Dubb, Fresh, Cee, Dee, Mr. Capon-E, Agent J, Ripple, Big Tank, Dj White Girl, Young Quicks, SadBoy, Michael Blackson, Ainsly Dunbar, DJ Kiss, Baka Boyz, Baby Bash, Dubb, Kidd and Mann.
7. You're keeping crazy busy but I have to ask...do you miss day-to-day radio?
Definitely! In Waco, Hot 104.9 Your Boy Q, seen in my eyes that I wanted to jump on, he then asked me jump on when we go live. I had a blast doing a 3 minute take over. But I didn't realize how I miss being on air until Homie Marco put me on the radio and had me do a couple breaks when we were in New Mexico with Anthony A. That's what spawned the KCAQ stunt. I'm doing the night show all week at KCAQ. I have to thank Big Bear so much for giving me this opportunity.
8. What might it take to get you back into a radio station fulltime?
I don't know we will just have to wait and see how this goes with Q104.7 but who knows.
9. What would you like to see/hear more of on the radio?
Straight West Coast music. G-Funk
10. What's your vibe on the explosion of Classic Hip Hop stations around the country?
Anything that expands the brand or the gospel known as hip hop is great.
Who were some of your radio and music business mentors?
Any radio regrets?