10 Questions with ... DJ Erockalypze
April 21, 2015
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
Joined U92 as a mixer almost ten years ago, to now being the Program Director of it.
1. What got you into radio?
Growing up in the Bay Area listening to all the dope DJs on and off air. That led me to turntablism, then progressed in to playing anywhere I could. Funniest thing is I never thought I'd have the opportunity to do it professionally, until I moved to Salt Lake City and U92 found me via the MySpace days.
2. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up??
Honestly? I had no idea. But my love for music was always there.
3. What did you bring from your mixshow and club DJ experience to the PD chair?
Whether you're "programming" a night club full of people or doing it in a room where you can't see your audience, it's helped tremendously. Being able to apply that face to face knowledge on air is always a plus.
4. Any advice for mixers that want to get on the radio?
Practice, be unique and willing to learn constantly.
5. What would probably surprise most people about Salt Lake City?
The counter culture. Being in a market where there isn't much separation between religion and state pushes out a bigger counter culture. Oh and if you're a foodstagram junkie like me, the food culture is dope, too.
6. What's your favorite song on the station right now?
At the moment, Action Bronson "Baby Blue"
7. If you weren't in radio, what do you think you'd be doing professionally?
Anything I needed to do put my daughters through college!
8. Let's play Tinder! Madonna...swipe left or swipe right?
That's messed up mane. lol.
9. If you could be on any TV reality show or game show, which would you want to be on?
The ones where you get paid to just travel and eat the world.
10. What's probably the biggest crowd you've spun in front of?
U92's annual Summer Jam shows.
If you had to eat one type of meal everyday for a month, what would it be?
Has the PD position been everything you thought it would be?
Everything...and then some.