10 Questions with ... Steve Perez
May 19, 2015
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
Started at a radio station in 1987 called KMIX 106 in Ojai CA weekends mixing live Saturdays nights than in1994 at KCAQ/Oxnard-Ventura for weekends and than later Music Director. I then landed at KSEQ/Fresno-Visalia CA in 1998 for MD/nights I came back to the Oxnard-Ventura and did weekends at KVYB and started my own production company called On Air Entertainment. I recently returned to KVYB for nights.
1. What got you into radio?
I enjoyed playing music when I was in high school when a local radio DJ and Program Director and heard me play and asked if I would play music on the radio and once I walked into the studio I felt this great force come over me and the radio bug hit me.
2. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
A police officer it seemed exciting at the time and I wanted to play with the radio and siren, but I think the police radio is what I liked more than the career, so music became my passion.
3. You focused on your production work for several years. Why the decision to move in that direction?
It was something different that I could do from home and I had many clients that would ask me to voice and produce their commercials for radio in different markets in California and Texas. One thing I liked about it was I could be creative and the client really liked their commercials.
4. Have you found doing the night show at 103.3 The Vibe to be invigorating?
It's exciting for me every time I open up that MIC and talk to our listeners because I know I am talking to a friend or someone I know or chatted with before.
5. What's your favorite song on the station now?
Dj Snake & AlunaGeorge -You Know You Like It
6. What's the best part about working in a market like Oxnard-Ventura?
Being from the Oxnard-Ventura market for many years its home for me here and a great feeling to be in radio in a market I grow up in.
7. Any disadvantages to working in a market like Oxnard-Ventura?
Yes, I am not close enough to the Levi stadium to see the 49ers for all their home games.
8. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I like to go watch movies and look for new places to eat at. I'm not going to lie. I like food.
9. If you could be on any TV reality show or game show, which would you want to be on? The
The Family Feud. They have some really interesting questions and I can see myself answering them in a funny way.
10. Money is no object...who spins at your wedding this weekend...Steve Aoki or Steve Marshall, your PD at KVYB?
I am going to say Steve Marshall. I know he'll play AC/DC into 50 Cent-In Da Club and he will find a way to make it work and sound good and he always has something on his mind to say like a totally random fact.
If you had to eat one type of meal everyday for a month, what would it be?
Ooh! That's easy...Mexican food.