10 Questions with ... Dana Cortez
June 2, 2015
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
Luck (and a terrible relationship) got me my start, at Clear Channel, on a Tejano station. Moved from part time to morning drive and Program Director of a CHR/Rhythmic station within one year - DESTROYED the competition. Not long after, Univision courted me and I bit.
1. You started in radio at a Tejano station. Are you bilingual?
Si, hablo español, but English is definitely my first language. I have a recurring role in Breaking Bad and my character only speaks Spanish.
2. With Univision, you're on the air in several markets but based in Albuquerque. In a perfect world, which of the markets that you are on would you like to be based in?
NEW YORK. Oh wait... I'm not on in NY. ;) I'm a city girl so San Francisco would be lovely. Steep, but lovely.
3. What are some of the advantages of being based in Albuquerque?
Beauty. New Mexico may not be "glamorous", but there's a reason all major films are being made here. It's one of the most beautiful places on earth.
4. We know that you've done some acting work in Breaking Bad. Would you be opposed to doing more in TV or movies?
I've actually done more TV, a few commercials and small movie roles so I'm not opposed to it at all, but I'm never going to be Angelina Jolie. Plus sitting on a set for 24 hours to shoot 15 minutes of film sucks. Lol! Besides, I love radio - I'm me everyday. Hair and makeup takes less time and effort.
5. How did you meet your husband, DJ Automatic? (does that make you Dana Cortez-Automatic?)
We met at work and I was actually his boss. Eeek. Reality TV would have eaten it up! DRAMA. I take full advantage of the relationship on my show and my social media because people want to know the business! My i.d. says "Mrs. Automatic."
6. As a morning host, do you think that your show is maximizing social media opportunities?
I may not be in market 1, but I operate like I am. At least to the best of my ability. I have my own blog, paid for by me, upload content daily and I'm extremely active on all my social media sites. Could I do more? Of course, but that would mean no sleep! I don't have a team - what you see is all me! Major market or small market, with the right content people in EVERY market pay attention and this ABQ girl has a very strong following on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
7. Who is the biggest celebrity you follow on Twitter? Who is the biggest celebrity following you?
I follow Drake and I believe Katy Perry is the most followed person on Twitter and I follow her, too. She doesn't follow me. Will someone please tweet her? TechN9ne and Big Sean follow me. I'm a Hip Hop chick. What can I say?
8. If you weren't in radio, what do you think you'd be doing now, professionally?
Relationship Counseling, social work or party host. Same jobs - different titles.
9. If you had to offer DJ Automatic a "celebrity pass", who would you choose for him?
Angelina Jolie or Adrianna Lima. We'd tape it - All two minutes.
10. What do you do daily to be a better on air personality?
I could say "research" and of course I do that, but being "real" is also a huge part of getting better - vulnerability isn't easy, but it's authentic and people respond to it. I listen to my show daily, send unedited bits to friends who are in the biz and I take criticism well. Growth is so much a part of a creative person's happiness so my goal is to always get better; always seek new challenges and never stop.
Dad Bod, Bad Bod or Hot Bod?
Hot Bod! Keep it tight.
Biggest thing that young men today could do to easily step up their game with the young ladies?
Be a gentleman. Even in 2015, chivalry goes a long way. Google it.