10 Questions with ... JoJo Lopez
August 25, 2015
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
Started in the late 90's... KISV/Bakersfield, KSEQ/Fresno, KVEG/Las Vegas, KWYE/Fresno. I've been here in San Luis Obispo since 2006 and loving it! The cherry on top is getting to do mornings in bigger markets like Spokane, WA and Monterey, CA from here.
1. What's the most fun thing about working in radio?
It's something I became passionate about in elementary school, so it's never felt like a JOB to me. It feels like a hobby that I get paid for.
2. What's the biggest challenge of programming in San Luis Obispo?
Doing it with no promotional budget and almost no staff. But it's really the kind of challenge that motivates you to try harder. It would almost seem too easy with a big budget and staff.
3. Compare living in SLO with living in Las Vegas?
They're night and day, but I very much enjoy both of them for different reasons. Vegas is fast, exciting and there's always somewhere to go and something to do. San Luis Obispo is very chill, laid back and all the stores are closed by 9 pm. But I love that we're driving distance to the Bay Area and Los Angeles from here.
4. You're the PD/morning host at KWWV. Aren't you doing mornings for other stations at Mapleton?
Yes. And I really can appreciate how lucky I am to be able to live in San Luis Obispo... near the beach, where it's about 70 degrees outside, year round... and do mornings at:
- KCDU - Monterey/Salinas/Santa Cruz, CA
- KZBD - Spokane, WA
- KQPT - Chico, CA
- KTMT - Medford, OR
Mapleton's CEO Jim Shea really believes in me and has been instrumental in making this happen.
5. What would probably surprise most people about San Luis Obispo?
Just how beautiful it is here. I feel inspired to take a picture, just because I'm "in awe", at least once a week.
6. If you weren't in radio, what do you think you'd be doing professionally?
I try and ask myself that same question every once in a while and I can never come up with an answer. No idea. This is what I want to be doing.
7. If you could add a co-host tomorrow, who would you choose?
We run Seacrest's syndicated show here, and every once in a while he has Sisanie from KIIS in L.A. filling in with him, I love her sound, energy and knowledge of pop culture. I think she would make an amazing morning co-host!
8. If you were chosen to be the next Bachelor on ABC's The Bachelor what would you be looking for in a potential bride? (may I suggest describing your girlfriend.)
I'm not serious about buying a car, but I'll test drive all of 'em. (Sleeping on couch tonight)
9. Hypothetical question...If you were getting married in two months and you could have any group or singer perform at your reception, who would you choose?
Stevie B... and if you don't know who he is by name... go look him up on youtube. He has about 15 songs that'll make you say, "Oh wow... I remember this song... that's who sings it?" The music from my youth still means a lot to me.
10. If you had to eat one type of meal everyday for a month, what would it be? (Mexican, Italian..etc)
I would've told you Chipotle until about a month ago. I got really sick after eating there. Was it their fault? Who knows? But I used to eat there every day, and I haven't been back there since. I'm back to eating Panda Express every other day again.
Is it true that SLO has no drive-thru windows at restaurants?
Yes. One of the few things I DON'T like about this place. The other is the plastic bag ban at stores. Want a bag? It's gonna be paper, and it's gonna cost you 10 cents. Damn hippies!