10 Questions with ... Kid Jay
September 22, 2015
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- Power 106 FM | Los Angeles : On-Air Weekends and Promotions
- Z90 | San Diego: On-Air, Music Director and Mixer
- 93.5 KDAY | Los Angeles: Marketing/Promotions Director
- 99.1 KGGI | Riverside: Music Director, Nights, and Mixer
- DJ for LA Lakers
- Tour DJ for George Lopez
- DJ for The Lopez Tonight talk show
1. What got you into radio?
I needed a place to promote my fraternities parties. What better place than on-air! That turned into a job!
2. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
A teacher. I wasn't sure what I was going to teach, but I've always had a passion for educating youth.
3. In July, you were named MD at KGGI. Did you expect to get back into programming or was this something of a surprise?
When I left Z90 in San Diego and started touring, and got a residency in Las Vegas, I assumed my radio days where pretty much over, but you never know what tomorrow can bring. It just worked out that the station was looking for me at the time I was looking for the radio station.
4. Many Inland Empire listeners, and Southern Californians in general, have long commutes. Is your commute short, medium or long?
I would say I have a medium commute...I've never had a short commute, always long! But that's how I do "Long and Strong" What's up Sir Mix A Lot?
5. What might surprise some people about Riverside?
This market is bigger than some major cities in the US!
6. What's your favorite song on the station right now?
Loaded question! I like a lot but the one stuck in my head right now is "Hotline Bling" -Drake.
7. If you weren't in radio, what do you think you'd be doing professionally?
Selling Ice to Eskimos? I have no clue. I've done nothing but entertainment and been around basketball my whole life. Maybe coaching or teaching?
8. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I CHILL! The challenges presented to programmers now are extremely time consuming. When I have time, I just relax at home!
9. Your boss, iHeartmedia Regional Programming Manager Rob Scorpio, is a successful, veteran programmer. How has working with Scorpio helped you?
Tremendously, he has taught me so many things that I missed in my first go around and changes in the game for today's radio! He is also my boss, so I would be remorse if I didn't say he is the best boss EVER!!!! "Can I get a raise, Scorp?"
10. Who would you like to see joining the team on The Voice?
Myself, I don't have agenda like the artist do! Actually, I would love to open up for the audience as a DJ. There set was a couple doors down from the Lopez tonight show when I was the DJ on that show, I bring the ENERGY!
If you had to eat one type of meal everyday for a month, what would it be?
Tough question. Let's go with pizza.
Fallon, Kimmel or Colbert?
Fallon, for sure. He has the best writers and producers. He also has the best skits on late night with big name artists. I'm assuming he will be around for a few generations.