10 Questions with ... Miguel "Mijo" Irizarry
October 27, 2015
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- Overnights|Middays WWKX/Providence, RI 2011-2012
- Overnights|Nights|Assistant Music Director WRDW/Philadelphia, PA 2012 - 2015
- Nights|Music Director WHTP/Portland ME 2015 - Present
1. What got you into radio?
My passion for radio stems from my father. He's been in radio since I can remember & still is till this day.
2. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
Batman - until I realized DJing would be just as cool. True story.
3. You're from Providence, RI. Would it be fair to say that you grew up listening to WWKX?
Yes 100x! No one was cooler than DJ Buck and Big Stress. Art Spencer on the AC WWLI was a close 2nd.
4. Think back to walking through the doors of WWKX for the first time. Did it meet your expectations for the station?
Without question. I interviewed for an internship right outside of the studio. The biggest tease for a college student with broadcast aspirations.
5. What would probably surprise most people about Portland as a place to live and work?
The incredible selection of craft beers and how good the food scene is. So many options!
6. What's your favorite song on the station right now?
Tinashe feat. Chris Brown "Player" - such a jam.
7. If you weren't in radio, what do you think you'd be doing professionally?
In a perfect world? DJing. Second to DJing I'd love to teach college courses in communications and audio production.
8. What keeps you busy when you're not at the station?
Music. My down time is spent catching up and listening to full length albums. Both new and old.
9. If you could be on any TV reality show or game show, which would you want to be on?
I always wanted to be on "The Real World." Is that a ratchet answer?
10. The MD post at WHTP brought you back to New England from Philadelphia. Do you miss Philly?
Philadelphia without question became a 2nd home for me. I miss Wawa, Phillips Steaks and that skyline.
If you had to eat one type of meal everyday for a month, what would it be?
Margherita pizza, hands down.
Music is such a part of our lives, emotionally. When you need to have your feelings picked up with a little music, what might you listen to?
I grew up surrounded by a lot of soul, r&b & funk. My go to album: Gil Scott Heron "Secrets."