10 Questions with ... Andre Covington
February 16, 2016
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
I started my entertainment career as a stand-up comic. After years of traveling and over a dozen TV credits, I was looking for something to stabilize my life. In 2000, I found radio, and a love affair was born.
1.What got you into radio?
I moved to Fresno because my ex-wife was from there. I started a very popular comedy hot spot. When I went on the radio to promote the comedy show, I found out one of the morning show hosts was leaving. I was offered a two week fill-in spot and that turned into a 16-yr radio career.
2. What did you want to be when you were a kid?
I wanted to be a lawyer and a basketball player. If I was a basketball player who got in trouble, I could rep myself.
3. What was the biggest change in the move from stand-up to radio?
I didn't want to be a guy telling jokes on the air. You go to a comedy show to see that. I wanted to be radio funny with bits, voices, and intelligent insight.
4. What brought you from Michigan to California?
My Mom said get your ass in the car we have to leave before your step-dad gets home!
5. What would probably surprise most people about Fresno?
That we are 2 and a half hours from The Bay, the Coast, the Snow and Southern California.
6. You and your morning show partner, Greg Hoffman, have worked together for a long time. What's something that he recently discovered about you?
Loyalty! When he was fired from our old station, I was offered more money to stay. I quit, even taking less pay at our #1 competition. We had never lost to them in the ratings. I knew we were winners and we proved that by beating that other station for the first time ever in the last ratings book!
7. What would you be doing professionally if you weren't in entertainment?
Something involving sports and kids. I enjoy working with my kids, and to see them grow and do well. It warms my heart. My oldest is a State Champion Gymnast and track star with college scholarships on the table. And my 8 year old is ahead of her pace in track when my oldest was her age.
8. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Golf baby! And I'm a big Raider fan!
9. If you could be on any TV reality show or game show, which would you want to be on?
If I was single, it would be The Bachelor. The women would have to earn those roses.
10. Who would you cast to play you in a movie about your life? Who would be cast to portray Greg?
Shemar Moore would play me, duhhh. Greg would be played by the nerd on The Big Bang Theory!
Your "go to" romantic spot in Fresno is _____________?
There's no need to have a spot, when you bring the romance everywhere you go. Okay, that's a lie. My wife and I have different palaces, restaurants, vacation spots. Plus we have a bar in our home for Red Wine Wednesday, jacuzzi tub and bedroom balcony with a view! It's working because we now have a 4 month old. That's enough info on that subject!!
Do you have a favorite stand up?
Past and present. The past it's The king Richard Pryor. Listening to him as a kid(I would sneak an album and listen in my room) made me want to do stand-up. Today I have made respect for Kevin Hart. He has taken it to a whole new level.