10 Questions with ... ODM
February 23, 2016
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
After performing and recording records with Lighter Shade of Brown, I ventured into radio in 2000. I went from doing nights to becoming Music Director/nights and also late nights at KIIS/Los Angeles up until 2007. Then at KGGI, I moved into the afternoon slot for about a year or so up until summer of 2015. I'm now sharing morning drive with my co host Evelyn Erives. #ODMandEVELYN in the morning.
1. What got you into radio?
Always had a desire to be on radio. I thought it was cool to be interviewed and as an artist. There's nothing like having the power of controlling your own console board, or as I'd like to call it, "Controlling an audio spaceship". I was approached by long time PD Jesse Duran and offered me the chance to become the KGGI night jock/Music Director.
2. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
At first a professional baseball player. Then midget mud wrestler. Then I fell in love with Hip Hop.
3. Do you still do shows with DTTX as Lighter Shade Of Brown?
Yes, we are currently active in touring on the weekends. Facebook.com/LSOB1990 :)
4. There's a generation of KGGI listeners that know you from KGGI more than LSOB. How does that make you feel?
It's kind of cool to see the look on listener's faces, when they make the connection that I was part of a 1990's hip hop/mainstream wave. What's more bizarre is I'm getting spins currently on our competitor's station. Ha Ha.
5. You've joined KGGI morning vet Evelyn Erives to form a new morning show on KGGI. What makes the show special for you?
Evelyn and I have had a unique relationship for the last 13 years or so at KGGI. The chemistry we have is like brother and sister and it compliments us on air. Looking forward to creating a legacy duo!
6. Who are some of your favorite hip hop acts out now?
J. Cole, Kendrick Lamar and Macklemore. Kevin Gates sticks out for some reason. Anything with substance or message.
7. If you had to leave music and radio. What do you think you'd do professionally?
I don't see myself doing anything else. This is my passion.
8. What do you like to do in your spare time?
A ride on my Harley. I love being with my newborn son and my stepdaughter. Also, being a great husband to my wife. ;)
9. If you could be on any TV reality show or game show, which would you want to be on?
"Lighter Shade of Reality" coming soon!
10. If you had to eat one type of meal everyday for a month, what would it be?
Carne asada and chicken. That's still considered one meal right?
Your "go to" romantic spot in the I.E.?
My Sleep Train movable base mattress, lol. Honestly, there really isn't one that I can think of in the IE. We go out of town for that.