10 Questions with ... Skip Dixxon
September 10, 2012
1. How did you become interested in radio?
I was recruited as a club DJ and asked if I wanted to try radio out.
2. How would you describe the music on the station?
Free form Triple A with a heavy classic gold library.
3. How much music overlap is there in the market?
We share similar artists but, out tracks are much deeper than the norm in the market.
4. What are some of your biggest challenges as an independent station?
I don't feel that we are challenged as an indie station, I think we offer much more than the big cluster corporate stations in all ways.
5. If you could add any one full-time position to your budget with no questions asked, what would it be?
An in-house engineer for daily maintenance
6. What are some of the big promotions you do during the summer with the influx of people?
We offer the Cash Splash Giveaway. We give a lucky listener $1,000 cash every month May-Sept. Qualifiers daily.
7. What do you like best about your job?
The on-air shift.
8. Of all the skills you have gained through the years, is there an area you'd like to improve?
I don't know if it's improving but, I would like to have more time to answer calls personally from the reps. Multi-tasking has cut that time in half.
9. What is the one truth that has held constant throughout your career?
I stay away from all sales. I have no opinion on sales nor do I ever want any involvement. On-air staff should never mix with sales when it comes to actual sales of air time.
10. If you wanted to completely change careers today, what would you do?
Tour as a hired drummer for a national rock band.
Last non-industry job:
Full-time musician/club DJ
First record ever purchased:
KISS, Rock and Roll Over
Favorite band of all-time:
What do you enjoy doing in your spare time away from work?
Camping in my RV with my family!