10 Questions with ... Mike Allen
March 4, 2013
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- Started in radio at WROQ in Greenville, SC 1988. Worked as part-time overnighter and worked my way up to APD and Interim PD before I left in 2001
- 2001-2012, OM/PD for WYBB and WCOO. Moved one to active rock and the other to Triple A
- 2012 to now, at WWNU 92.1 The Palm
1. How did you become interested in radio?
Old radio serials on WSB in Atlanta when I was a kid. CBS Radio Mystery Theater with E.G. Marshall
2. How did the station in Columbia come about?
Kirk Litton and Tom Davis bought the two stations from Double O Broadcasting. Tom and I had met through a mutual friend at Sunset Sessions a couple of years ago and he interviewed me and asked me to join the team
3. How many stations are in the group?
Two -- Triple A WWNU 92.1 (The Palm) and Country WWNQ (94.3 The Dude)
4. How would you describe the music on The Palm?
50 Years of Alternative music
5. What are some of your biggest challenges at the group?
Don't see a ton ...We're just getting started and getting to know everybody in town ... so, yeah, we're new ... ish now
6. As with other Davis Media properties, do you have plans for an online newspaper?
Yes, it will launch soon and offer us another opportunity to imbed ourselves in the Columbia community. It will be at coladaily.com
7. What is your typical day like?
- I arrive at 5a to finish prepping for the morning show.
- Do a four-hour morning show.
- Meetings and such as necessary early in the day.
- Music and production early afternoon
- Music logs, merge the log and if there isn't anything more project-wise, I head home
8. What do you view as the most important issue facing radio today?
Radio must renew its connection to the communities in which we live. Without that, you can be replaced by a blog, website or something else.
9. What is the one truth that has held constant throughout your career?
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." -- Calvin Coolidge
10. Fill in the blank: I can't make it through the day without ...
... digital music sources.
Last non-industry job:
Fork lift driver and retail sales
First record ever purchased:
Rolling Stones "It's Only Rock and Roll" on 45 rpm vinyl
My brothers took me to "Champaign Jam."
Favorite Band Of All-Time:
Hmmm ... too hard to say.
What do you enjoy doing in your spare time away from work?