10 Questions with ... Mike Bushey
April 8, 2013
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
Jock, MD, PD, OM, VP, GM ... I've worked in Boston, Portland, Buffalo, Fresno, Las Vegas, San Diego, Phoenix and Reno
1. How did you become interested in radio?
Bowdoin College student-run FM
2. Tell us about Americom.
Americom Broadcasting owns six stations including KOLC. We have a giant A/C, a pop Top 40, a Rhythmic Top 40, a Classic Hits station and a 24-hour Sports station that is home to the S.F. Giants and the 49ers.
3. What prompted you to launch Triple A KOLC?
4. Explain the meaning of "Little City 97.3" for us.
Reno, since 1929, has been known as the "Biggest Little City in the World"! To say that the slogan is well established and part of the local lingo would be an understatement!
5. How would you describe the music on the station?
Triple A and Alternative artists with a seasoning of Modern AC tunes.
6. Tell us about the air staff.
None yet, but in the works
7. Beside KOLC, you also have other responsibilities. Tell us about them.
I think of myself as a programmer, a formatician. Of course, I have my favorite genres of music, but they are many and being a good PD is more about understanding how the audience consumes radio (and other media) today.
For Americom I am PD of KOLC and KODS (25-year-old Classic Hits station). I was responsible for KSGG, our Hip and R&B station until last week.
For the last year-and-a-half, I have also been the Digital Media Manager. We have seven radio station websites and two others. Our stations' websites are by far the busiest in the market. Pageviews hit as high as 400,000 depending on the month.
8. What do you see at the first BIG challenge at the station?
9. Of all the skills you have gained through the years, is there an area you'd like to improve?
10. What is the best advice you would give to young programmers/promotion people?
Learn everything about your craft; don't get sidetracked by any one aspect of the job, and remember stations change format because of revenue ... not ratings.
Last Non-Industry Job:
Bar owner 2004-2011
Favorite Bands Of All-Time:
Eagles, Beatles, Fleetwood Mac, Talking Heads
What do you enjoy doing in your spare time away from work?
I'm a car enthusiast ... love driving, exploring.