10 Questions with ... Brendan Kashuba "BK"
April 22, 2013
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
1996 - Current. Started at the bottom and worked my way up.
1. How did you become interested in radio?
Listening to Jon Miller call O's games.
2. Were you already at WOCM before taking over the programming reins?
3. Do you plan on adjusting the music on the station?
No, I'm happy with the music mix we have right now.
4. How would describe the sound of the station?
5. How much music overlap is there in the market?
Very little, which gives our station a unique position.
6. What new bands are you excited about?
Dawes, Kopecky, Von Grey, Serena Ryder and Michael Franti
7. With warmer weather coming, what does the station do to tie into the larger population in town?
Our summer promo is a cash giveaway. Most of our jocks are also mobile in the "season." We also bump the amount of reggae we play.
8. What are some of your biggest challenges as an independent station?
Making people realize we aren't your average independent.
9. What do you view as the most important issue facing radio today?
Lack of interest/enthusiasm from the next generation.
10. Fill in the blank: I can't make it through the day without ...
... Happy Hour!
Last non-industry job:
I was a busboy at BJ's on the Water
First record ever purchased:
Twisted Sister - Come Out and Play
Stevie Wonder - In Square Circle
Favorite band of all time:
Bond & Bentley
What do you enjoy doing in your spare time away from work?