10 Questions with ... Jordan J Zucker
October 14, 2013
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- On-air talent-WKAJ Saratoga Springs, NY (1975)
- Southern/Tone Dist One Stop-Miami (1977-1979)
- Pickwick Distribution-Rack Sales (1979-1981(
- Capitol Records-Customer Service Rep (1982-1984)
- A&M Records-Promotion Southheast (1984-1989)
- A&M Records-National Rock -Chicago (1989-1992)
- RCA Records-Southeast Promotion-ATL (1992-1996)
- RCA Records-Rock Director-LA (1996-1999)
- Sanctuary Records / CMC-National-ATL (2000-2006)
- Infirst Promotion-ATL (2006-2013)
1. What got you interested in the record business?
My first job growing up in Saratoga Springs, NY was changing all the 45s on all the jukeboxes in town; that and being a drummer made for an interesting time.
2. What was your favorite station to listen to when you were a kid?
WPTR-1540, was the AM Top 40 station at the time, then I knew I had to be on the air which lead me to being the voice of the high school for four years and on to college for Radio Broadcasting and Engineering.
3. What was the first record you worked to radio and what has been the biggest change since you first began doing radio promotion?
It was from the Breakfast Club OST on A&M Records, "Don't You, (Forget About Me)" by Simple Minds ... Always looking for the next public phone booth to call Charlie Minor with adds!
4. Where do you get your greatest pleasure in doing promotion?
Hearing the song on the radio as I would drive to the next town, standing next to, or on the stage with an artist that I know I had something to do with the show/ our/airplay.
5. What is the toughest part of your job?
Knowing how talented the artists are, and trying to get that point across.
6. Things are changing rapidly in our business. Were it up to you, what would you change in our "system" to give your bands a better shot?
The best would be more hours in the day to play music!
7. What's the wildest thing you ever did to get "the add" at a station?
Hmmm, wearing the "Big Pig" suit and renting a bus with food and beverage, and going to clubs all night with radio,(Power 96/Y100/Hot 105), what a great time!
8. What would surprise people most about you?
I am a Medic First Aid Rescue Scuba Diver, or maybe a competitive tennis player...
9. What is your best advice for up-and-coming promotion reps?
Be on time and know the who/what/where/when of what you are doing.
10. If you were to leave the record business today and you could choose any other occupation, what would it be?
Working at an ocean resort in the water sports recreation department...
Last non-industry job:
First record ever purchased:
Go to question # 1
Saratoga Performing Arts Center-74, Elton John
Favorite band of all-time:
What do you enjoy doing in your spare time away from work?