10 Questions with ... Jared Aman
June 29, 2015
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- 1994-1995 KZEL/Eugene, OR - on-air
- 1995-1996 KNRQ/Eugene, OR MD and on-air
- 1996-1999 KDGE/Dallas afternoon host
- 2000-2010 KITS/San Francisco, afternoon host
- 2011-current KINK/Portland, OR
1. How did you become interested in radio?
I randomly signed up to do a two-year associates in radio because I wanted to do something that sounded fun. Then once I realized you could make a living playing music as a career, I was all in.
2. How long have you been at KINK?
3. How would you describe the music on the station?
It's a blend of new Modern Rock, Classic Alternative and Classic Rock
4. Are there plans to adjust the sound/mix on the station?
No -- we already tweaked the station.
5. How do you feel about the current climate of music?
I feel it's a very comfortable 98.6*
6. What are some of the station annual benchmark events?
- Late spring concert- KINK On the Waterfront
- Holiday show in December- Jingle Bell Jam
- Yearly CD of local bands - Homegrown Music
- Yearly CD of bands in our Skype Live Studio (formerly the Bing Lounge) - Kink Live
7. Tell us about your voice talent work?
Currently I am hosting a few stations at Slacker Radio. I host both '90s Alternative and Adult Alternative. In the past I have worked here in Portland voicing a variety of TV and radio ads from across the states.
8. What do you view as the most important issue facing radio today?
Downsizing. The playing field is shallow and there's not as much room to grow. There used to be a time when you could start doing overnights in a small market, then work your way to hosting better dayparts, and move your way up to bigger markets. That seems to be greatly affecting the quality of "talent" that's out there.
9. What is the one truth that has held constant throughout your career?
It's radio ... it beats working!
10. If you wanted to completely change careers today, what would you do?
Golf course architecture
Last non-industry job:
Bussing tables at Olive Garden
First record ever purchased:
Probably Michael Jackson - Billie Jean
Favorite band of all-time:
What do you enjoy doing in your spare time away from work?
Being with my sons and my family.