10 Questions with ... Artie Gentile
June 20, 2016
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
Giant Records/ Denver Regional Mgr '95, RCA/ Denver Regional '96, SF Regional '98, T40/Rhythm National LA '01, Republic West Coast National/HAC '05, RCA Rock National '15
1. What got you interested in the record business?
I loved playing (drums) for large crowds and having them sing your songs. Music always meant a lot to me and I always wanted to bring it to the masses on the largest scale possible.
2. What was your favorite station to listen to when you were a kid?
WBCN, Charles Laquidara and the Morning Mattress was a regular on my dial.
3. What may surprise people the most about RCA Records?
Our team always had a great family vibe. We really work well together as a group, unlike most I've worked with over the years.
4. Who do you see as the next breakthrough artist(s) for the label?
Weathers. They're a great young L.A. Alternative band that will cross multiple formats.
5. Where do you get your greatest pleasure in doing record promotion?
Nurturing a band from the beginning to unlimited success; seeing an artist connect with fans.
6. Every promotion person has a record close to their heart that for one reason or another never broke through -- "The One That Got Away." What is your "One That Got Away," and what did you learn from that record?
Vertical Horizon; they were a phenomenal band that was on the cusp of breaking all the way through, but for some reason couldn't connect all the way. I ultimately feel like we had an imaging disconnect, as I really felt the music was there. They had radio hits, but couldn't sell through.
7. Biggest change that you'd like to see in the business?
I'd love to see people willing to pay for music regardless of platform.
8. What is your best advice for up-and-coming promotion reps?
9. What would surprise people most about you?
10. Fill in the blank: I can't make it through the day without ...
... a cup of coffee and a good workout!
Last non-industry job:
Limo driver through Bentley University, FUN TIMES! Actually, I was in the Mutual Fund business after that, while I earned my MA at Emerson.
First record ever purchased:
Kiss Alive, 8-track! Led Zeppelin 4 cassette!
Favorite band of all-time:
What do you enjoy doing in your spare time away from work?
Skiing/snowboarding/sports with my wife and two boys! Best thing in the world besides music! :)