10 Questions with ... Traci LaTrelle
May 22, 2012
1) Where and what was your first job in radio? Early influences?
- WRVS (Elizabeth City State University (NC.) Under the direction of David Linton.
- WMYK (K-94)/Norfolk, Va.
- WMMJ/Washington, DC
- W102 Jamz/Greensboro, NC
- WQOK/Raleigh, NC
- WYLD/New Orleans
- XM Satellite Radio --The Flow
- WHUR/Washington, D.C.
2) What was the most influential radio station(s) growing up?
WHUR and WKYS when Donnie Simpson and Candi Shannon were holding it down!
3) If you were just starting out in radio, knowing now what you didn't then, would you still do it?
Yes ... no regrets.
4) What stations pre-sets are in your car right now?
96.3 WHUR, competitor WMMJ, XM169 The Power, CNN and Sirius Left Talk and Oprah and Friends. I also like to listen to Talk radio.
5) How you feel about being asked to wait on a record you hear until the research validates it?
It used to annoy me, but we don't do that at WHUR.
6) How do you feel about syndication? Does it affect significantly on the number of hours that you have control over the music that you play?
Syndication has worked very well for WHUR. Eight hours of the day goes to music that we do not program.
7) Because of callout research, are today's Urban and Urban AC programmers going to be slower in adding and playing new music? What is the maximum number of spins a record in power rotation could be expected to receive in a given week on WHUR?
We do not use callout research at WHUR. The maximum spins per week for a power is approximately in the low 20s.
8) Of all the skills you have gained through the years, is there an area you'd like to improve?
The Internet aspect of radio and how to incorporate it into what we do on-air.
9) WHUR continues to do very well in the Washington, D.C. market according to the latest Arbitron PPM ratings. Do you feel there are going to be new challengers from other formats?
10) As you look back over your career ... any regrets? Missed opportunities?
What's been your biggest disappointment in radio today?
I'm disappointed in satellite radio's music programming.
Describe your favorite meal.
West African-style shrimp, greens, rice and beans with plantains and homemade banana pudding for dessert.
At what store would you max out your credit card?
I love boutiques!
Do you feel that Urban and Urban AC stations should support new artists in 2012?
Yes, if the music sounds good!